ORLANDO, Fla. - Playing with a shortened roster due to injuries, the Saint Joseph women's tennis team fell to Howard, 5-1, at the USTA National Campus on Monday.
The Hawks' sophomore Amanda Nava picked up her team's point as she extended her singles win streak to seven matches as she led Yassmine Khiri, 6-0, 3-0, before the Bison's No. 1 played had to retire.
Putting forth a strong effort at the fifth flight, Katherine Devlin battled to a supertiebreak with Aria Ragas, but ultimately fell, 6-4, 6-7 (2),10-5.
"A familiar result, but a more competitive contest as the ladies played their first outdoor match under the lights at the USTA campus," said SJU head coach Ian Crookenden. "A much better, closer match than the score indicates, with an excellent performance from junior Katherine Devlin, who fought all the way before succumbing in a 10 point tie-breaker. The squad is definitely working hard and improving each outing as we prepare for the meat of our spring season outdoors."
The Hawks (0-7) continue play in Orlando, Florida versus Western Carolina on Thursday.
1. Amanda Nava (Saint Joseph's) def. Yassmine Khiri (Howard) 6-0, 3-0 (retired)
2. Nicole Hutchison (Howard) def. Alex Kramer (Saint Joseph's), 6-1, 6-2
3. Kendall Addison (Howard) def. Paige Conrad (Saint Joseph's), 6-3, 6-1
4. Christina Joynes (Howard) def. Madeline Hill (Saint Joseph's), 6-2, 6-2
5. Aria Ragas (Howard) def. Katherine Devlin (Saint Joseph's), 6-4, 6-7 (2), 10-5 (STB)
6. Dominique Jackson (Howard) def. Iswarya Vel (Saint Joseph's), 6-3, 6-0
Total: Howard 61, Saint Joseph's 34
Receive all of the latest news and info on SJU women's tennis with Hawk E-News –SIGN UP