PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - The Saint Joseph's women's soccer team opens the home portion of its schedule this weekend with matches versus Princeton and Stony Brook at Sweeney Field. The Hawks take on the reigning Ivy League champion Tigers at 5 p.m. on Friday in the first game of a doubleheader with the SJU men's soccer team, while Saint Joseph's welcomes the Sea Wolves to Hawk Hill on Sunday for a 1 p.m. match.
ABOUT SAINT JOSEPH'S (1-0-1)
• The Hawks posted a 1-0-1 mark to open the season following a 1-0 victory at Drexel and 1-1 double-overtime draw at Villanova.
• Saint Joseph's was ranked 10th this week's United Soccer Coaches East Region Poll.
• Senior Gabrielle Vagnozzi tallied the game-winning goal against the Dragons last Thursday, while classmate Cameron Perrott made four saves in the shutout.
• At Villanova, sophomore Aleksa Peev netted her first goal of the season with rookie goalkeeper Emily Cuccio making a game-high eight saves in her collegiate debut.
ABOUT PRINCETON (0-0-0)
• The Tigers were selected to finish first in the Ivy League and received 10 of 16 first-place votes in the conference's preseason poll.
• Princeton is coming off its second-straight Ivy League crown and earned the conference's automatic NCAA Tournament bid last year.
• Friday marks the season-opening match for the Tigers as they received votes in the United Soccer Coaches Top-25 poll, and were ranked second in the East Region this week.
• Princeton is 4-0-0 all-time against Saint Joseph's.
• The Tigers return seven All-Ivy honorees from last year's team.
• In goal, Natalie Grossi holds the Princeton career shutout record with 25, just four shy of the Ivy League record of 29.
ABOUT STONY BROOK (2-0-0)
• The Sea Wolves enter the week with a 2-0-0 record and head to Delaware for a match with the Blue Hens on Friday.
• Last weekend, Stony Brook opened its season with a 2-1 overtime victory over Northeastern and followed with a 2-1 win versus Manhattan.
• Chelsea DePonte leads the team in goals (two) and points (four), while Fanny Gotesson ranking second in points (three) with a goal and assist.
• Sofia Manner enters the week with a 1.00 goals-against-average with a 0.833 save percentage.
• In the America East Preseason Poll, the Sea Wolves were picked to finish third.
• Stony Brook is 0-1-0 all-time versus the Hawks having fallen 1-0 in overtime to SJU during the 2003 season.
Receive all of the latest news and info on SJU women's soccer with Hawk E-News – SIGN UP