MERION STATION, Pa. – The Saint Joseph's men's tennis team wrapped up its conference weekend with a 4-0 defeat to George Mason on Sunday afternoon.
The Patriots claimed the doubles point to take the early lead, winning the first and third flights. Eshan Kanetkar and Nathan Perrone battled for a 7-5 win in the second flight for SJU.
In singles play, the visitors earned victories in the top three flights, two of them coming in three sets, to clinch the win before play was halted. The matches in flights four through six were all in the third set at the conclusion of play; Dan Tan was close to finishing off his fifth-flight opponent, leading the match by a 7-6 (3), 4-6, 5-2 score.
“Today it was all about overcoming the difficult loss the team suffered yesterday, and again they put forth a display of courage and effort in every match,” assistant coach Marc Pibernat said. “Despite both losses, it was a positive weekend for the team for the way everyone came together, supporting and pushing each other to get the best out of the team.”
The Hawks will host La Salle on Tuesday afternoon before wrapping up the regular season at home against George Washington next Sunday.
George Mason 4, Saint Joseph's 0
1. Ryan Charles / Pally Ray (GMU) def. Beekman Schaeffer / Dan Tan (SJU), 6-3
2. Eshan Kanetkar / Nathan Perrone (SJU) def. Jakob Nielsen / Erick Rivas (GMU), 7-5
3. Edward Ayers / Giuliano Buzoianu (GMU) def. Andre Fick / Johnnie Massart (SJU), 6-4
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Ayers (GMU) def. Perrone (SJU), 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
2. Ray (GMU) def. Fick (SJU), 6-3, 7-6 (4)
3. Nielsen (GMU) def. Massart (SJU), 6-7 (6), 6-3, 6-3
4. Luis Janko (SJU) vs. Buzoianu (GMU), 6-0, 4-6, 2-2
5. Tan (SJU) led Charles (GMU), 7-6 (3), 4-6, 5-2
6. Rivas (GMU) led Schaeffer (SJU), 6-3, 6-7 (8), 5-3
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
Singles: George Mason 85, Saint Joseph's 77
Doubles: George Mason 17, Saint Joseph's 14
Total: George Mason 102, Saint Joseph's 91