PHILADELPHIA - Third seed Saint Joseph's opens the 2017 Atlantic 10 Women's Basketball Championship on Saturday as it hosts 14th seed Rhode Island in a First Round matchup at 2 p.m. at Hagan Arena.
Saturday's game will be streamed for free on the Atlantic 10 Network.
GAME STORIES . . .
• The Hawks finished the season tied for third with Saint Louis at 12-4, but won the head-to-head tie-breaker with the Billikens based on SJU’s 66-63 win on February 5.
• Saturday will mark the eighth time the Hawks have faced Rhode Island in the Atlantic 10 Championship, with SJU going 5-2 in the previous postseason meetings with the Rams.
• Rhode Island topped Saint Joseph’s in the previous postseason contest, 81-76, in the First Round of the 2016 A-10 Championship on March 3, 2016 at the Richmond Coliseum.
• Overall, the Hawks hold a 53-8 edge in the all-time series versus Rhode Island and won this year’s contest, 75-49, on January 25 at the Ryan Center.
• This year marks a change in the A-10 Championship format with the First Round shifting to home sites for seeds three through eight, while the top two finishers (Dayton and George Washington) earned a bye to the Quarterfinals.
• The Quarterfinals, Semifinals and Championship Final will be held Friday through Sunday, March 3-5, at the Richmond Coliseum.
• Should Saint Joseph’s win, it would advance to face either sixth seed La Salle or 11th seed St. Bonaventure at 7 p.m. on Friday in the Quarterfinals.
• The Hawks are making their 35th A-10 Championship appearance.
• Saint Joseph's is 44-31 all-time in A-10 Championship play and have won the conference title three times (1997, 1999, 2013).
Series History Saint Joseph’s vs. Rhode Island
All-Time Series: SJU leads 53-8
Last Meeting: 1/25/17, SJU, 75-49
Last SJU Win: 1/25/17, 75-49
Last Rhode Island Win: 3/3/16, 81-76
Current SJU Streak: W-1