The Saint Joseph's baseball team heads to Northern Virginia this week with a chance at a postseason berth as the Hawks kick off a three-game series at George Washington on Thursday afternoon.
First pitch in the opener is set for 3:00 p.m.; Friday's game is scheduled for 1:00 p.m., while Saturday's finale begins at 3:00 p.m.
The Hawks are one of six teams in contention for four remaining berths in the 2017 Atlantic 10 Championship, to be held at Saint Louis University, beginning on May 24.
• Last time out, Saint Joseph's (19-24 overall, 10-11 Atlantic 10) kept its postseason hopes alive with a three-game sweep of Dayton at Smithson Field. Tim Brennan scattered eight hits in a complete-game effort in Friday's opening game as the Hawks earned a 4-1 victory. In the nightcap, a five-run fourth inning powered SJU to a 7-1 win and a doubleheader sweep.
On Sunday, the Hawks jumped out to a 6-0 lead and held on for a 6-4 win to secure the series sweep. Brian Lau tossed six innings for the win in his first collegiate start, and also went 2-for-4 with a home run and two runs batted in at the plate.
• For his efforts on Friday, Brennan was tabbed the Atlantic 10 and Philadelphia Big 5 Baseball Pitcher of the Week.
• Deon Stafford, Jr., hit .455 for the weekend, reachng base at least twice and scoring a run in each game of the series en route to Big 5 Co-Player of the Week honors.
• George Washington (29-23 overall, 13-8 Atlantic 10) ran its winning streak to six with a three-game sweep at La Salle. After taking a 3-1 result on Friday, GW topped the Explorers, 4-1, in the first of a pair at Hank DeVincent Field before Bobby Campbell's two-run double in the 10th inning gave the Colonials a 4-2 win in game two.
• The Colonials have now swept their last two conference series, having won all three at George Mason a week earlier.
• Elliott Raimo tossed eight strong innings on Sunday to earn Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week honors.
Batting Average: Matt Maul (SJU), .346 | Bobby Campbell (GW), .360
Runs Scored: Deon Stafford, Jr. (SJU), 31 | Bobby Campbell (GW), 41
Hits: Matt Maul (SJU), 56 | Bobby Campbell (GW), 72
Home Runs:Dominic Cuoci (SJU), 10 | Bobby Campbell (GW), 8
Runs Batted In: Charlie Concannon / Dominic Cuoci (SJU), 28 | Bobby Campbell (GW), 43
Slugging Percentage: Deon Stafford, Jr. (SJU), .522 | Bobby Campbell (GW), .540
On-Base Percentage:Deon Stafford, Jr. (SJU), .469 | Bobby Campbell (GW), .416
Wins: Tim Brennan / Brian Lau, 3 (SJU) | Austin Cline (UD), 4
Losses: Tim Brennan (SJU), 4 | Elliott Raimo / Brady Renner (GW), 7
Saves: Five tied with 1 (SJU) | Eddie Muhl (GW), 11
Appearances: Jake Meyers (SJU), 16 | Eddie Muhl (GW), 22
Innings Pitched: Tim Brennan (SJU), 68.2 | Elliott Raimo (GW), 81.1
Earned Run Average: Zach DeVincenzo (SJU), 1.40 | Eddie Muhl (GW), 1.88
Strikeouts: Tim Brennan (SJU), 59 | Elliott Raimo (GW), 66
Around the A-10
Here's a look at the schedule around the rest of the Atlantic 10. Teams denoted as "idle" may be in action in non-conference games.
Davidson at Massachusetts
Fordham at St. Bonaventure
La Salle at Dayton
Saint Louis at George Mason
VCU at Richmond
Idle: Rhode Island