The Saint Joseph's baseball team is set to host crosstown foe La Salle in a critical Atlantic 10 series this weekend. The Big 5 rivals will kick off the three-game set on Friday afternoon at 3:00 p.m. at Smithson Field.
Forecasts indicate inclement weather is headed to the Philadelphia region in time for the series; be sure to check SJUHawks.com and follow @SJUHawks_Base on Twitter for the latest in regards to potential scheduling changes.
• Saint Joseph's (15-22 overall, 6-9 Atlantic 10) sits one game behind George Washington for the final spot in the Atlantic 10 Championship with nine games remaining. The Hawks and Colonials will meet for a three-game series in Arlington, Virginia, on the final weekend of the season.
• Last time out, the Hawks came from behind twice against Delaware on Tuesday to stun the Blue Hens, 7-6, in 11 innings. Freshman Brian Markoski's solo home run in the seventh inning brought the Hawks all the way back from a 4-1 deficit to tie the game, but the Blue Hens scored two in the top of the 10th to take the lead once more. With two outs, freshman James McConnon beat out an infield single before senior Peter Sitaras continued his recent power surge with a two-run home run to knot the game at six. The Hawks then loaded the bases with one out in the bottom of the 11th for freshman pinch hitter Kadar Namey, who sent a fly ball to right that scored senior Cal Jadacki and gave the Hawks the win.
• Junior Matt Maul tops the batting average charts for SJU, checking in with a .343 average on the back of a team-leading 47 hits. Classmates Dominic Cuoci and Deon Stafford, Jr., lead the Hawks in the other slash line categories; Cuoci leads the way with a .551 slugging percentage, while Stafford's .471 on-base percentage is the top mark in the Atlantic 10. He also leads the team with 25 runs scored.
• Cuoci has been the Hawks' leading run producer, hitting nine home runs and notching 26 runs batted in. Sophomore Charlie Concannon ranks second with 23 RBI, while he, Sitaras, and Stafford are tied for second on the team with five longballs.
• Sophomores Tim Brennan and Lucas Rollins have led the way on the mound for the Hawks. Both have notched a pair of victories, with Rollins posting a 3.33 earned run average and Brennan checking in at 3.38. Brennan leads the staff with 43 strikeouts against just nine walks.
• Senior Zach DeVincenzo has been strong in a relief role, posting a 2-1 record and a 1.80 ERA in 15.0 innings. He leads the team in strikeout-to-walk ratio, having fanned 14 against just two walks.
• The Hawks were featured in the most recent edition of the NCAA's Top 10 Plays after turning a triple play at VCU on April 28.
• La Salle (8-34 overall, 2-13 Atlantic 10) dropped a pair of midweek games, falling to Lafayette in a 13-9 slugfest on Tuesday before Villanova took a 3-2 result on Wednesday. The Explorers took a 2-0 lead in the top of the first on a two-run double by Chase Arnold, but the hosts got singles runs in the second, sixth, and seventh to come away with the win.
• Austin Constanini is the leading hitter among the Explorers' regular, posting a .312 average and 48 hits. His .387 on-base percentage is also tops on the squad.
• Ben Faso has provided the power for the La Salle lineup, swatting five home runs and driving in 24 runs in 41 games. He also leads the team with a .442 slugging percentage, while Kevin McGowan has scored a team-high 21 runs.
• Matt Holt paces the starting staff with a 2-1 record and a 3.32 ERA. He has struck out 43 batters against only seven walks in 43.1 innings on the season.
• In addition to his exploits at the plate, Constantini has notched a team-leading four saves out of the bullpen.
Around the A-10
Here's a look at the rest of the schedule around the Atlantic 10 this weekend. Teams denoted as "idle" may be in action in non-conference play.
George Washington at George Mason
Massachusetts at Rhode Island
Richmond at St. Bonaventure
Saint Louis at Davidson
VCU at Dayton
Atlantic 10 Standings