The Saint Joseph's baseball team is headed to the Bronx this week for a three-game Atlantic 10 series at Fordham. First pitch in the series opener is set for 2:00 pm. on Thursday. The Hawks and Rams will then meet Friday at 11:30 a.m. before concluding the series on Saturday at noon.
• Last time out, Saint Joseph's (10-15 overall, 3-3 Atlantic 10) got an RBI single from Brian Lau in the top of the 10th inning and a game-ending double play from Taylor Boyd with the bases loaded in the bottom half to top Villanova, 6-5, on Tuesday. Matt Maul was 3-for-5 with two runs scored and two stolen bases, while Charlie Concannon drove in a pair of runs on the day.
• The Hawks took two out of three from George Mason over the weekend, falling to the Patriots on Friday before securing a pair of 5-2 victories on Saturday and Sunday.
• Maul is the reigning Atlantic 10 and Big 5 Player of the Week after hitting .625 over a four game stretch last week. He now leads the Hawk offense with 31 hits and a .360 average on the season.
• Deon Stafford, Jr., has reached base at a conference-best .500 clip, while Dominic Cuoci ranks second in the Atlantic 10 with a .611 slugging percentage. Stafford also ranks second in the league with 22 walks on the season.
• Cuoci is the Hawks' RBI leader with 23, while his seven home runs are tied for third in the league. Concannon is second on the squad in both categories, having hit five home runs and driven in 14. Stafford and Cal Jadacki lead the team in runs scored with 18 and 16, respectively.
• Fordham (15-13 overall, 4-4 Atlantic 10) routed Siena, 11-3, on Tuesday afternoon. The Rams scored four in the fourth and three in the sixth to take control of the game, while Ryan Mahoney had two hits, including a home run, two runs scored, and two RBI on the afternoon.
• On Sunday, the Rams split a doubleheader at Saint Louis in the only games played between the teams over the weekend. Travel issues precluded the Rams from getting to the Gateway City until late Saturday, canceling the first game of the series.
• Luke Stampfl leads the Rams with a .341 average, while his 29 hits match Matthew Kozuch for the team lead. He is also tied with Reiss Knehr for the team lead in home runs with three, and his .553 slugging percentage is a team best as well.
• Justin Bardwell's 13 RBI and .391 on-base percentage are team highs, as are his 11 doubles. Jake Baker is the Rams' leading threat on the basepaths, having stolen five bases on the season, while three teamates have swiped four.
• Kyle Martin leads the Rams with a 4-1 record out of the bullpen, while Jimmy Murphy's three wins and 2.83 ERA are tops among Fordham starters. He also leads the staff with 47 strikeouts in 47.2 innings, while Knehr has fanned 42 in 39.0 frames.
• Alvin Melendez has saved two games for the Rams in seven appearances, posting a 0.61 ERA in 14.2 innings.
Around the A-10
Here's a look at the rest of this weekend's Atlantic 10 slate; teams listed as "idle" may be in action in non-conference games:
Davidson at VCU
George Mason at Dayton
Rhode Island at Richmond
Saint Louis at Massachusetts
Idle: La Salle, George Washington, St. Bonaventure