The Saint Joseph's baseball team is headed to College Park, Maryland, and Williamsburg, Virginia, for a three-game road trip this week. The Hawks will take on the Maryland Terrapins on Wednesday before facing William and Mary on Friday and Yale on Saturday.
Saint Joseph's at Maryland
Wednesday, March 8 • 4:00 p.m. • Bob "Turtle" Smith Stadium
Probable Starters: RHP Hayden Seig (0-1) vs. RHP Cameron Enck
• Saint Joseph's (0-9) is led offensively by juniors Matt Maul and Deon Stafford, Jr. The pair is tied atop the ledger with .290 batting averages, while Stafford is reaching base at a team-high .488 clip.
• Junior Dominic Cuoci is the Hawks' leading RBI man, driving in 10 runs and posting a pair of home runs. Senior Cal Jadacki has also hit a pair of longballs and leads the team in runs scored (seven), while senior Brian Lau has gone deep a team-leading three times.
• Senior Pat Vanderslice had a strong outing against Connecticut on Sunday, going seven innings without allowing an earned run. He struck out eight against three hits and zero walks en route to Philadelphia Big 5 Baseball Pitcher of the Week honors.
• Maryland (4-5) bagged three victories at the USA Baseball-Irish Classic in Cary, North Carolina, over the weekend. The Terrapins earned wins over Notre Dame, sixth-ranked North Carolina State, and Dayton. Before hosting SJU, Maryland meets William and Mary on Tuesday.
• George Mason transfer Brandon Gum leads the Terrapins offense with a .391 average, eight walks, and a .563 on-base percentage. Nick Dunn and Madison Nickens check in with seven RBI apiece, while Dunn and Zach Jancarski have scored nine runs apiece.
• Brian Shaffer leads all qualifying pitchers with a 2.55 earned run average and has struck out a team-best 20 hitters, while Tyler Blohm is off to a 2-1 start to the season. Andrew Miller and Ryan Selmer have each notched a save for UM.
Saint Joseph's at William and Mary
Friday, March 10 • 6:00 p.m. • Plumeri Park
Probable Starters: RHP Tim Brennan (0-2) vs. RHP Nick Brown (1-0)
• Prior to Tuesday's game against Maryland, William and Mary (6-4) also took three games at the Irish Classic, defeating Monmouth, Rhode Island, and Dayton.
• Through seven games, the Tribe was led by Cullen Large's .481 batting average, six runs scored, and eight RBI. Ryan Hall and Brandon Raquet each hit two home runs in the first seven games and added six runs batted in.
Saint Joseph's vs. Yale
Saturday, March 11 • Noon • Plumeri Park (Williamsburg, Va.)
Probable Starters: TBA
• Yale (1-3) opened its season this weekend by dropping three of four at New Mexico State. The Bulldogs will meet Stony Brook on Wednesday before taking on the Hawks on Saturday.
• Simon Whiteman led the way for Yale, going 7-for-14 with a run scored and one more batted in. Griffin Dey provided a power boost, hitting three home runs and driving in sevenof the Bulldogs' 16 runs in the series.