ANNAPOLIS, Md. – The Saint Joseph’s men’s tennis team opened the spring portion of its schedule at Navy, falling to the Midshipmen by a 6-1 score at the Tose Family Tennis Center on Saturday.
"We never start with easy matches as for both teams we want to see where we stand without easy schedules that really do not give us the information needed," head coach Ian Crookenden said. "After seeing our squads compete against a tough Navy program, I am very confident that by the end of February, with a couple more matches under our belt, we will be playing in full stride and having good success."
Navy (3-0) took an early lead by claiming a sweep of the doubles matches, but junior Peter Dewitt answered in singles play, cruising to a 6-1, 6-2 win over Andrey Majkic in the sixth flight to knot the match at a point apiece.
The Midshipmen went back ahead with a win in the fifth flight, but Saint Joseph’s (0-1) battled hard in the top four flights before ultimately coming up short. Sophomores Tim Stierle and Andre Fick went deep in the second and third flight, respectively; Stierle fell to Aries Wong in three sets, 6-2, 5-7, 6-2, while Fick pushed Gabriel Pilones to the limit in a 7-6, 7-5 defeat.
"The men played some very close matches, and though the ladies displayed a few more first-match jitters, they also fought hard and well against very well-trained and disciplined opponents," Crookenden said. "It was a heartening opening match for both teams."
The Hawks return to action next weekend with a pair of matches in Pittsburgh against Carnegie Mellon and Duquesne.
Navy 6, Saint Joseph’s 1
1. Greg Durham / Thomas Pecor (USNA) def. Peter Dewitt / Tim Stierle (SJU), 6-3
2. Andrey Majkic / Aries Wong (USNA) def. Kyle Chalmers / Dan Tan (SJU), 6-4
3. Zach Jennings / Gabriel Pilones (USNA) def. Tristan Boustany / Andre Fick (SJU), 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Pecor (USNA) def. Chalmers (SJU), 7-5, 6-4
2. Wong (USNA) def. Stierle (SJU), 6-2, 5-7, 6-2
3. Pilones (USNA) def. Fick (SJU), 7-6, 7-5
4. Durham (USNA) def. Boustany (SJU), 7-6, 6-2
5. Jennings (USNA) def. Tan (SJU), 6-3, 6-3
6. Dewitt (SJU) def. Majkic (USNA), 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 4, 1, 2, 3
Singles: Navy 72, Saint Joseph’s 57
Doubles: Navy 18, Saint Joseph’s 8
Total: Navy 90, Saint Joseph’s 65