RICHMOND, Va. – Tonya Botherway fired home the game-winner with just 65 seconds to go in the fourth quarter as the 12th-ranked Saint Joseph's field hockey picked up a 3-2 win at Richmond on a rainy Sunday afternoon at Crenshaw Field.
With the win, the Hawks have clinched a share of the Atlantic 10 regular season title for the fourth consecutive season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Neither team was able to break through in the first quarter, but Kathrin Bentz put the Hawks on the board early in the second with her sixth goal of the season as she converted on a penalty corner.
• Richmond (8-7 overall, 4-2 Atlantic 10) drew level with 4:17 to go in the first half as Evie Hanson tallied her first goal of the season.
• Botherway tipped home a feed from Bentz on a corner for her first of the day a minute and 13 seconds to give Saint Joseph's (13-1 overall, 6-0 Atlantic 10) a 2-1 halftime lead.
• The hosts would equalize once again as Amanda Dasilva converted a penalty stroke early in the third.
• The teams would play the rest of the third and all but the final minute of the fourth on level terms before Botherway notched her 15th goal of the season and her second game-winning goal of the weekend to give SJU the victory.
BEHIND THE BOX SCORE
• The Hawks outshot the Spiders, 21-7, on the afternoon, including a 10-2 advantage in the fourth quarter. SJU also earned eight penalty corners to just two for UR.
• The Spider defense put in a strong performance on Sunday, as Frankie Conklin made nine saves in the cage, and two Spiders combined for three defensive saves. Victoria Kammerinke made three stops in the cage in the win for SJU.
• The win is the first for the Hawks over the Spiders in Richmond since 2001.
• The game was originally set to begin at noon, but the start was pushed back three hours due to Tropical Storm Nestor.
The Hawks will play their final home games of the season this week as they host Davidson on Friday and #9 Michigan next Sunday.
Saint Joseph's (13-1, 6-0) 0 2 0 1 – 3
Richmond (8-7, 4-2) 0 1 1 0 – 2
SJU: Bentz, Botherway (2)
UR: Hanson, Dasilva (PS)
For more news and information on Saint Joseph's field hockey, click here to sign up for Hawk E-News.