PHILADELPHIA – The Saint Joseph's men's soccer team suffered a heartbreaking defeat on Saturday night, falling to VCU, 4-3, in overtime at Sweeney Field.  Three different Hawks found the back of the net in the match, including senior Daryus Lake, who scored for the first time in the Crimson and Gray.

• The Rams forced SJU goalkeeper Joseph Boehm into a save just 19 seconds into the match, but once things settled, it was the Hawks with most of the possession and it paid off with a Garrett Lyons goal in the 19th minute.  Lyons' initial effort was blocked, but he followed his own rebound to put the Hawks ahead early.

• The Hawks remained a goal to the good through halftime, but the Rams drew level in the 57th minute on a free kick that was ultimately finished by Fiorre Mane.

Leon Maric answered for SJU 10 minutes later, as Dontrim Namani picked out a perfect through ball to spring Maric, whose blast from a tight angle restored the SJU advantage.

• The lead would be brief, however, as Biska Biyombo sent a cross through the area in the 71st minute that took an unfortunate deflection off a defender and once again leveled the match.

• The home fans thought the Hawks had won it in the 86th minute, as Lake finished off a cross from Michael Mullins for his first collegiate goal, but just 82 seconds later, the Rams were awarded a penalty, which Ryo Shimazaki converted to make it 3-3.

• SJU had one last-gasp opportunity to win it in 90 as Lake found himself on the end of an Alvin Dahn corner kick, but his shot hit the side netting with 10 seconds remaining and the game went to overtime.

• The Hawks had a couple opportunities early in the extra session, but a giveaway in the defensive end left Martin Ngoh all alone to give VCU its only lead of the night and the victory.

• After a relatively clean first half, the physicality picked up in the second as a total of seven cautions were issued in the final 40+ minutes of the match, with five of the bookings shown to the home team.

• For the night, the Hawks outshot the Rams, 19-16.  Boehm made six saves between the sticks for SJU, while VCU's Mario Sequeira made three.

"I think it was a really, really disappointing game," head coach Don D'Ambra said.  "Our guys battled; VCU is a very good program.  We went up 1-0 and they tied it; we went up again and they tied it again.  We go up 3-2, and to give a penalty with two minutes left I think was really tough for our guys.  In overtime, we made a mistake and they capitalized on it.

"I felt we deserved to win the game, and I was proud of our guys for continuing to bounce back after [VCU] would tie the game up, but at the end of the day, we fell a little short.  Hopefully our guys can bounce back and have confidence and motivation; the next Atlantic 10 game is crucial for us."

The Hawks close out their five-match stretch at home against Princeton on Tuesday night.  Kickoff is set for 7:00 p.m. at Sweeney Field.