PHILADELPHIA - The Saint Joseph's men's rowing team opened the fall portion of its schedule this past weekend as the Hawks hosted the Navy Day Regatta on the Schuylkill River.
• Saint Joseph's began their schedule for the Fall by competing in the Men’s Open/College 4+, Men’s Freshman/Novice 8+, and Men’s Open/College 8+ events.
• In the Men’s Open/College 4+, SJU's A squad (C Caroline Seelig, 4 Justin Hawkins, 3 Slam Dunkley, 2 Devin Swech, 1 Dave Gee) placed third in the field of 29.
• The Hawks' B team of C David Knapp, 4 Kjel Schlemmer, 3 Collin Seabrook, 2 Collin Petersen, 1 Jason Peacock placed eighth in the Men’s Open/College 4+, while the C boat of C John Carluccio, 4 Mike Roque, 3 Ian Gallagher, 2 Will Darling, 1 Nick Hutchinson finished in 18th place.
• In the Men’s Freshman/Novice 8+, SJU's boat of C Kim Meier, 8 Aaron Tully, 7 AJ Oves, 6 Nick Coppola, 5 Will Altier, 4 Cam McNeill, 3 Tom Rigali, 2 Noah Pingul, 1 Jake Enright placed ninth in the field of 15.
• Rounding out the day in the Men’s Open/College 8+ event, the Hawks' A team placed sixth, while the B squad was 16th and C board finished 24th in the field of 31 teams.
• Saint Joseph's A boat consisted of C Caroline Seelig, 8 Justin Hawkins, 7 Kjel Schlemmer, 6 Devin Swech, 5 Slam Dunkley, 4 Collin Seabrook, 3 Ian Gallagher, 2 Max Bernstein, 1 Dave Gee, with the B boat's roster of C John Carluccio, 8 Jason Peacock, 7 Collin Petersen, 6 Mike Roque, 5 Will Altier, 4 Will Darling, 3 Gavin O’Connor, 2 Jack Yeager, 1 Nick Hutchinson.
• The Hawks' C team consisted of C David Knapp, 8 Aaron Tully, 7 AJ Oves, 6 Will Sims, 5 Will Altier, 4 Cam McNeill, 3 Tom Rigali, 2 Owen Lyons, 1 Jake Enright.
"It was great to open the fall season on our home course and get a sense of where we stand after seven weeks of practice. The weather was perfect for competition and most of the athletes had two races down the course. The returning upperclass members of the team came back from the summer prepared and our base fitness is in a good spot for early fall. We have plenty of room to improve on top end speed and race execution. We have a condensed schedule this fall and the squad is excited to see how far we can move forward before the end of the month," said head coach Mike Irwin.
The Hawks return to the water next Sunday, October 20, as SJU will compete in the Men’s Collegiate 8 at the Head of the Charles Regatta.
Receive all of the latest news and info on SJU men's rowing with Hawk E-News – SIGN UP