MERION STATION, Pa. – Fresh off a win over Villanova in the 2017 home opener, the Saint Joseph's baseball team will host Bryant in non-conference action this weekend. First pitch for the series opener is set for 3:00 p.m. on Friday.
Live stats and audio will be available for all three games.
• Saint Joseph's (2-11) won its home opener on Tuesday, defeating Villanova, 9-1. The Wildcats took the lead in the first inning, but Kadar Namey's first career home run, a three-run shot to left, gave the Hawks a lead they would not relinquish. After a pair of singles pushed two more across in the fifth, Marc Giacalone and Charlie Concannon added two-run home runs in the seventh to set the final margin.
• After a slow start to the season, the Hawks have won two of three. On March 10, Tim Brennan pitched into the ninth inning, allowing two runs, one earned, on five hits to go with eight strikeouts and zero walks as the Hawks topped William and Mary, 3-2.
• Deon Stafford, Jr., has been hot in March, hitting .435 with a .739 slugging mark and a .605 on-base percentage. For the season, he leads the Hawks with a .333 / .533 / .516 slash line, four doubles, and 10 runs scored. He has also drawn 14 walks on the season, ranking ninth in Division I in walks per game.
• Cal Jadacki is tied with Stafford for the team lead in both doubles and runs scored. Concannon and Brian Lau have each hit a team-best three home runs, while Dominic Cuoci's 10 runs batted in lead the way.
• Bryant (3-14) has lost seven in a row, most recently dropping a three-game set at Brown before falling at Hartford on Tuesday. The Bulldogs scored three runs in the ninth to tie the game, but a lead-off triple was followed by two intentional walks and a game-winning single to give Hartford the 8-7 victory.
• The Bulldogs are led offensively by Mickey Gasper, whose .349 average, .587 slugging percentage, .447 on-base percentage, three home runs, and 13 RBI are all team bests.
• Cole Fabio leads Bryant with 17 runs scored, while his 13 walks and five doubles are also team highs. Jimmy Titus has hit three home runs to match Gasper while ranking second in RBI with 12.
• This weekend marks the widespread start of conference play in the Atlantic 10, but the Hawks are the lone team on a bye week from league games. Last weekend, Davidson took two of three from St. Bonaventure in the first conference series of the season.
Around the A-10
Here is this weekend's Atlantic 10 slate; teams listed as "Idle" may be in action in non-conference games:
Fordham at George Mason
La Salle at VCU
Massachusetts at George Washington<
Rhode Island at Davidson
Richmond at Dayton
St. Bonaventure at Saint Louis