PHILADELPHIA - La Salle scored twice in the first 21 minutes to hand the Saint Joseph's men's soccer squad a 2-0 loss at McCarthy Stadium on Saturday evening. With the Atlantic 10 loss, the Hawks fall to 4-7-0 overall (0-3-0 A-10) while the Explorers improve to 6-4-1 (2-1-0 A-10).
How It Happened
• La Salle's Charlie Collins took a shot that deflected off the top of the woodwork and back into play, where Colin Bateman found Quer Gamiz for the Explorers' first goal of the night (11').
• Pat McCarthy scored just over 10 minutes later, assisted by Omari Cotterell (21').
Behind the Stats
• Saint Joseph's outshot La Salle 21-7, which included a 9-4 advantage in shots on goal, but Explorers goalkeeper Brett Werner made all nine stops for the clean sheet.
• Junior midfielder Alvin Dahn (6, 2) and senior forward Leon Maric (5, 2) combined for 11 shots and four shots on goal.
• Senior midfielder Dontrim Namani made his first start of the season, while junior defender Daniel Morales was shifted back into a starting spot on the back line.
• Sophomore goalkeeper Joseph Boem (4-7-0, 0-3-0 A-10) made two saves in the full 90:00.
The Hawks head to Hartford this Tuesday, October 8. Start time at Al-Marzook Field at Alumni Stadium in West Hartford, Conn. is set for 3:00 p.m. Note, this match was originally scheduled for a 7:00 p.m. start but was moved up as a safety precaution due to the mosquito-borne Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE) virus that hit the region.