PHILADELPHIA – The Saint Joseph's men's soccer squad will compete in two critical Atlantic 10 matches this week, facing George Washington on the road this Wednesday, October 23 at the GW Soccer Field at 2:00 p.m. before hosting Dayton on Sweeney Field this Saturday, October 26 in the regular-season home finale at 7:00 p.m.
Live streaming ($) of both matches will be made available on ESPN+. To sign up, please click here. For international streaming for Saturday night's match, please click here. Live stats will also be provided for all home games, at SJUHawks.com.
Both the Colonials and Flyers are ahead of the Hawks in conference standings, and Saint Joseph's could jump with a pair of wins (for six points) this week.
The Hawks were predicted to finish eighth in the A-10's preseason poll. For the third consecutive year, the eight-team A-10 Championship will see the opening rounds played on the campus of the higher seeds. With matches set for November 9 and 10, the four advancing teams will battle for the A-10 postseason title at Fordham University's Jack Coffey Field in the Bronx, N.Y. on November 15 (semifinals) and November 17 (title game). The A-10 tournament champion will earn the A-10’s automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament.
Current A-10 standings:
T-1. Rhode Island (5-1)
Saint Louis (5-1)
3. VCU (4-1)
T-4. Duquesne (3-2)
George Mason (3-2)
T-8. La Salle (2-3)
George Washington (2-3)
T-10. Saint Joseph's (1-4)
St. Bonaventure (1-5)
ABOUT SAINT JOSEPH'S (5-9-1, 1-4-0 A-10)
• The Hawks are entering this week with some momentum after picking up their first A-10 win of the season, a 2-1 victory over Fordham, this past Saturday. Junior defender David Grana and junior midfielder Alvin Dahn scored first-half goals, both assisted by senior forward Leon Maric, while sophomore goalkeeper Joseph Boehm made four saves, including two in the final 73 seconds, to preserve the win.
• Atlantic 10 Preseason All-Conference Maric (4g, 3a), Dahn (4g, 1a), and sophomore midfielder Garrett Lyons (3g, 3a) lead the Hawks in scoring while Boehm (5-9-1, 1-4-0 A-10) sports a 1.85 goals against average and .708 save percentage in 1,358:37, all but 19:14 on the season.
• Saint Joseph's is coming off of an 8-7-3 season (2-3-3 A-10) from 2018 and returns 17 letterwinners, including nine starters from a season ago. Senior defender Mike Fornaro and junior midfielder Aidan Watkins captain the Hawks this fall.
ABOUT GEORGE WASHINGTON (4-9-1, 2-3-0 A-10)
• The Colonials are coming off of a 2-1 conference win over Davidson, where Liam Emson scored twice. GW has earned A-10 wins over St. Bonaventure, 1-0, and Davidson, 2-1, and dropped contests to Rhode Island, 1-0 (2OT), George Mason, 2-1, and Duquesne, 1-0.
• Max Holdsworth (3g, 3a) and Sandro Weber (3g) lead the Colonials in scoring while Noah Lubin (2-4-0) and Justin Grady (2-5-1) have split time in net.
• The Colonials were predicted to finish 11th in the Atlantic 10's 13-member field, according to the A-10's Preseason Coaches Poll.
• GW went 5-9-3 (1-5-2 A-10) last fall.
• Wednesday's match will mark the 30th in the all-time series, and George Washington owns a 19-7-3 advantage; the Hawks last won in 2013, on the road by a final score of 3-1.
ABOUT DAYTON (8-7-0, 3-2-0 A-10)
• Dayton will host Duquesne this Wednesday at 7:00 p.m. before heading to Hawk Hill on Saturday. In A-10 play this season, the Flyers have defeated UMass, 2-0, St. Bonaventure, 6-2, and Saint Louis, 2-1, and fallen on the road to George Mason, 3-2, and VCU, 2-1, both in overtime.
• Jonas Fjeldberg leads the Flyers in scoring with 24 points (8g, 8a), including a school-record five assists in the SBU win, while Toluwalase Oladeinbo has also hit the back of the net eight times. Goalkeeper Federico Barrios (8-5-0) sports a 1.14 goals against average and .775 save percentage in 1266:06, all but 130:03 on the season, and made 11 saves in Dayton's 2-1 win over SLU.
• The Flyers were predicted to finish fourth in the Atlantic 10's 13-member field, according to the A-10's Preseason Coaches Poll. Barrios was tagged the A-10's Preseason All-Conference goalkeeper selection.
• Fordham went 9-6-4 (4-3-1 A-10) last fall and reached the A-10 semifinals.
• Saturday's match will mark the 19th all-time meeting between Saint Joseph's and Dayton, with the Flyers owning a 16-1-1 series edge. The Hawks won the first ever meeting between the two programs, 2-0, in 1995, and drew, 2-2, in 2001. The Hawks are 0-5 under the direction of head coach Don D'Ambra.