PHILADELPHIA – The Saint Joseph's men's soccer squad remains home to host Fairfield this Wednesday, September 4 at 7:00 p.m. on Sweeney Field before heading to Hempstead, N.Y. to face LIU on Saturday, September 7 at 8:00 p.m. at Hofstra Soccer Stadium.
NOTE: SJU's match at LIU was originally scheduled for 4:00 p.m. at LIU's Soccer Park but was moved to Hofstra due to unplayable field conditions in Brookville, N.Y.
Live streaming ($) of Wednesday's home match will be available in the United States via a subscription to ESPN+, ESPN’s new streaming platform and the new home for a majority of Atlantic 10 Conference live digital events. To sign up, please click here. For international streaming, please click here. Live stats will also be provided for all home games, at SJUHawks.com.
Live streaming is not available for Saturday's match at LIU.
ABOUT SAINT JOSEPH'S (0-1-0)
• The Hawks dropped their season opener to Saint Peter's, 2-1, last Friday; senior forward Leon Maric scored (18') while sophomore goalkeeper Joseph Boehm made 12 saves in net.
• Saint Joseph’s is coming off of an 8-7-3 season (2-3-3 A-10) and returns 17 letterwinners, including nine starters from a season ago in 2019 Atlantic 10 Preseason All-Conference forward Maric and midfielder Ritchie Barry, fellow midfielders Alvin Dahn, Garrett Lyons, and Aidan Watkins, defenders Mike Fornaro, David Grana, and Daniel Morales, and goalkeeper Boehm. Fornaro and Watkins will captain the Hawks this fall.
• Morales accumulated his fifth yellow card in the final match of 2018, which forced him to miss the season opener. He will be eligible to play against Fairfield.
ABOUT FAIRFIELD (0-0-1)
• The Stags were selected to finish first in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference and received four of the 11 possible first-place votes in the conference's preseason poll.
• Fernando Robayo scored just 94 seconds in to lead Fairfield to a 1-1 draw at Rhode Island last Friday while Gordon Botterill made 15 saves in the full 110:00.
• Botterill was named the 2018 MAAC Goalkeeper of the Year while defender Jonas Vergin and midfielder Matt McGlinchey also earned All-MAAC honors a year ago.
• The Stags went 11-5-2 overall and 8-0-2 in MAAC play last year but fell to Rider, 2-0, in the MAAC Tournament semis.
• The series sits at 1-0-1 in favor of the Hawks; Fairfield and Saint Joseph's drew, 2-2, in 1989 before the Hawks earned a 2-0 road win over the Stags last fall. Then-rookie forward Frantz Pierrot (44') and then-sophomore midfielder Alvin Dahn (79') put away unassisted scores.
ABOUT LIU (2-0-0)
• The Sharks were selected to finish fifth in the Northeast Conference Preseason Poll and earned a pair of first-place votes.
• LIU took down Old Dominion, 2-1, last Friday and VCU, 1-0, this past Monday, both on the road; Papa Ndoye scored the match-winner (86') at ODU while Chris Capaldo scored (56') at VCU.
• The 2019-20 academic year marks LIU's first year of competition as a unified Division I athletic program.