MERION STATION, Pa. – The Saint Joseph's men's tennis team wrapped up its regular season slate on Saturday afternoon, falling by a 4-0 score to George Washington at the SJU Tennis Complex.
The visitors took the early lead via doubles victories in the second and third flights. The Colonials kept things going into singles play, taking wins in the third through fifth flights to clinch the match.
Senior Andre Fick led his second-flight match, 6-4, 3-4, when play was halted. Sophomore Nathan Perrone was still in the match in the first flight as well, as he had split the first two sets, 6-1, 4-6.
"It was a tough match to end the regular season," assistant coach Marc Pibernat said. "We are a team that everyone must compete and play hard at every line for us to have chances at winning.
"I want to thank our seniors, Dan Tan and Andre Fick, for all they have done the past four years, but especially their senior year where they both contributed tremendously to the team and its culture," Pibernat added.
The Hawks now await their seeding for the Atlantic 10 Men's Tennis Championship, which begins on Thursday at the USTA National Campus in Orlando, Florida.
George Washington 4, Saint Joseph's 0
1. Beekman Schaeffer / Dan Tan (SJU) led Ben Barnett / Zicheng Zeng (GW), 3-2
2. Jakub Behun / Lawrence Sciglitano (GW) def. Eshan Kanetkar / Nathan Perrone (SJU), 6-1
3. Hanyu Liu / Ryan Navarro (GW) def. Andre Fick / Johnnie Massart (SJU), 6-1
1. Perrone (SJU) vs. Zeng (GW), 6-1, 4-6
2. Fick (SJU) led Navarro (GW), 6-4, 3-4
3. Barnett (GW) def. Massart (SJU), 6-2, 6-1
4. Behun (GW) def. Luis Janko (SJU), 6-3, 6-4
5. Sciglitano (GW) def. Tan (SJU), 6-1, 6-3
6. Liu (GW) led Schaeffer (SJU), 6-2, 5-4
Singles: George Washington 62, Saint Joseph's 39
Doubles: George Washington 14, Saint Joseph's 5
Total: George Washington 76, Saint Joseph's 44