Saint Joseph's senior Laura Gomez and rookie Alex Kramer posted singles victories, but the Hawks' women's tennis team fell to Atlantic 10 rival George Mason, 4-2, on Senior Day on Sunday at the SJU Tennis Complex.
Playing at the third flight, Gomez was in control from the start as she posted a 6-0, 6-3 win over Hannah Yang. Kramer picked up the second point for SJU as she earned a 6-3, 7-5 decision over Jackie Nannery at the fifth flight.
"The result might have been more generous on Senior Day, but the competition was very intense. An excellent struggle between two traditional conference rivals," said SJU head coach Ian Crookenden. "A great win for Alex at No. 5 after steadily putting her game together, it was a most consistent performance."
The Hawks (2-18) cap the home portion of their schedule on Tuesday versus La Salle at 2:30 p.m.
George Mason 4, Saint Joseph's 2
1. Sydney Green (MASON) def. Amanda Nava (SJU) 7-5, 2-6, 6-3
2. Brianna Gibbs (MASON) def. Isis Gill-Reid (SJU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Laura Gomez (SJU) def. Hannah Yang (MASON) 6-0, 6-3
4. Hannah Harrod (MASON) def. Paige Conrad (SJU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Alex Kramer (SJU) def. Jackie Nannery (MASON) 6-3, 7-5
6. Marium Raza (MASON) def. Katherine Devlin (SJU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
Singles: George Mason 66, Saint Joseph's 59
Receive all of the latest news and info on SJU women's tennis with Hawk E-News –SIGN UP