VILLANOVA, Pa. - The Saint Joseph's women's tennis team fell to rival Villanova, 4-1, on Wednesday afternoon.
Opening play with doubles matches, Laura Gomez and Katherine Devlin posted a 7-5 victory at the third flight for the Hawks, but Villanova would claim the first point with wins in the other two matches, despite a strong showing from Paige Conrad and Madeline Hill at the second flight as they fought strongly in a 7-5 loss.
Moving to singles play, SJU's Amanda Nava prevailed over Lexi DeNucci at the top flight, 6-1, 5-7, 1-0.
The Wildcats though would claim victories at the second, third and fourth flights to close out the match.
"A very close doubles tie went to Villanova, but our ladies gave a great account of themselves, especially in the number two spot. Singles went pretty much according to form with Amanda showing good focus to win the super breaker. Minds are on upcoming conference matches which should be very competitive," said SJU head coach Ian Crookenden.
The Hawks (2-16) hosts Duquesne on Friday at 2:30 p.m.
Villanova 4, Saint Joseph’s 1
1. Lindsey Evans / Claudia Althans (VU) def. Amanda Nava / Isis Gill-Reid (SJU), 6-2
2. Lexi DeNucci / Kaylan Rotman (VU) def. Paige Conrad / Madeline Hill (SJU), 7-5
3. Laura Gomez / Katherine Devlin (SJU) def. Ellie Zimmerman / Sabina Grigiorian (VU), 7-5
1. Amanda Nava (SJU) def. Lexi DeNucci (VU), 6-1, 5-7, 1-0
2. Lindsey Evans (VU) def. Isis Gill-Reid (SJU), 6-3, 6-2
3. Kaylan Rotman (VU) def. Laura Gomez (SJU), 6-3, 6-2
4. Carina Burdick (VU) def. Paige Conrad (SJU), 6-0, 6-2
5. Olivia Kapp (VU) vs. Alex Kramer, DNF
6. Alexandria Vesikallio (VU) vs. Katherine Devlin, DNF
Singles: Villanova 42, Saint Joseph's 24
Doubles: Villanova 18, Saint Joseph's 12
Total: Villanova 60, Saint Joseph's 36
Receive all of the latest news and info on SJU women's tennis with Hawk E-News –SIGN UP