VILLANOVA, Pa. – The Saint Joseph's men's tennis team couldn't quite get over the hump on Wednesday as the Hawks fell at Villanova, 5-2.
The Hawks held the early lead in doubles play, but the Wildcats stormed back to take both of the top two flights and secure the first point of the match.
“We had a clear goal going into this match and that was to win the doubles point,” assistant coach Marc Pibernat said. “Unfortunately, we played solid doubles but couldn't capitalize on the 4-1 lead we had in flight number two.”
Nathan Perrone gave the Hawks their first point of the afternoon in the top singles flight, easing past Stefan Suarez, 6-3, 6-2. The hosts then notched wins in the third and fourth flights to get within a point of clinching.
Andre Fick earned his second come-from-behind, three-set victory in as many days, outlasting Tyler Roth, 3-6, 7-5, 6-1, to get the Hawks within a point, but Villanova locked up the win with victories in the fifth and sixth flights.
“Going into singles play, we knew we had to win four out of six,” Pibernat said. “Once again Nathan and Andre played two great singles matches, giving the Hawks two victories. Luis Janko also had a close match, but unfortunately he couldn't close it and lost in the 10-point tiebreak.
“The team needs to find a way to bounce back from today and put all their thoughts and focus into Friday against Duquesne in a big conference match for us.”
The Hawks will host the Dukes on Friday afternoon at the SJU Tennis Complex before George Mason visits Hawk Hill on Sunday.
Villanova 5, Saint Joseph's 2
1. Thomas Dodson / Tyler Roth (VU) def. Beekman Schaeffer / Dan Tan (SJU), 6-3
2. Tommy Mulflur / Stefan Suarez (VU) def. Eshan Kanetkar / Nathan Perrone (SJU), 7-5
3. Dylan Flanagan / Charlie Schuls (VU) led Andre Fick / Johnnie Massart (SJU), 6-5
Order of Finish: 1, 2
1. Perrone (SJU) def. Suarez, 6-3, 6-2
2. Fick (SJU) def. Roth (VU), 3-6, 7-5, 6-1
3. Dodson (VU) def. Massart (SJU), 6-3, 6-3
4. Flanagan (VU) def. Tan (SJU), 6-2, 6-1
5. Schuls (VU) def. Luis Janko (SJU), 6-1, 5-7, 12-10 (STB)
6. Mulflur (VU) def. Schaeffer (SJU), 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 4, 3, 2, 6, 5
Singles: Villanova 65, Saint Joseph's 50
Doubles: Villanova 19, Saint Joseph's 13
Total: Villanova 84, Saint Joseph's 63