The Saint Joseph's softball team will play its home opener on Wednesday as the Hawks host local rival Villanova at the SJU Softball Field at 3 p.m. Wednesday's game will be streamed as part of the Atlantic 10's ESPN+ subscription package, with live stats available free of charge.
SAINT JOSEPH'S (9-10)
• The Hawks wrapped up their in-season tournament play last weekend at the JMU Invitational. Posting a 2-3 record, Saint Joseph's picked up wins versus Binghamton and Morgan State, but fell to #22 James Madison and lost a pair of tight contests to Rutgers.
• Junior Sarah Ostaszewski currently leads the Hawks in batting average (.381), runs (15), and hits (24), while classmate Caela Abadie has collected a team-best 15 RBI and is tied with senior Taryn Grober for the lead in home runs (three).
• Senior Ashley Ventura enters Wednesday with a 6-8 overall record while leading the SJU pitching staff in ERA (3.44), strikeouts (34) and innings pitched (75.1). Rookie Amanda Herr has appeared in 12 games with six starts and currently ranks second on the team in ERA (3.79) and strikeouts (nine).
• The Wildcats head to Hawk Hill after a 1-3 weekend at the Maryland Invitational. Villanova posted a 12-1 victory over Saint Peter's, but dropped close games to Rhode Island, Maryland and UMBC.
• Paige Rauch leads Villanova in batting average (.357), RBI (20) and hits (25) and is tied for first in runs scored (17) and home runs (six). Julia DaCosta enters Wednesday batting .292 with 18 RBI and tied for the team lead in home runs (six), with Angela Giampolo leading the Wildcats in stolen bases (seven) and tied for the team lead in runs scored (17).
• In the circle, Rauch leads the Villanova pitching staff with a 7-6 record and a team-best 2.38 ERA and 47 strikeouts. Anissa Amarillas has appeared in 11 games and is second on the team in strikeouts (13), while Sara Kennedy is 1-1 in 10 appearances.
Receive all of the latest news and info on SJU softball with Hawk E-News – SIGN UP