The Saint Joseph's baseball team will play its home opener on Tuesday as the Hawks meet local rival Villanova at Smithson Field. On Wednesday, SJU visits Bucknell in a game rescheduled from March 5.
Tuesday's game will be streamed as part of the Atlantic 10's ESPN+ subscription package. Audio and live stats will be available free of charge.
SAINT JOSEPH'S (5-10)
• The Hawks saw their three-game winning streak come to an end on Sunday as they dropped their final game in Florida, 5-3. Dominic Cuoci hit a two-run double and Andrew Cossetti notched an RBI single to give SJU a 3-1 lead after one, but the Crimson would score four more times to grab the win.
• James McConnon and Nate Thomas pace the Hawks with identical .339 batting averages on the season. McConnon's .443 on-base percentage is tops on the squad, while Cuoci leads the way with a .463 slugging percentage. Cossetti has been the Hawks' leading power threat, hitting two home runs and notching 12 runs batted in.
• Ryan Devine and Kyle Smith have led the pitching staff in appearances, with seven and six, respectively. Devine has recorded a pair of saves, while Luke Zimmerman has held opposing batters to a .188 average in five appearances, including one start.
• The Wildcats took two out of three against La Salle last weekend, winning a pair of home games and dropping one on the road. Jimmy Kingsbury threw a one-hitter on Sunday, walking two and fanning five to lead VU to a 1-0 win. Kingsbury allowed a single to the third batter of the game, and eventually retired the final 19 Explorers to come to the plate.
• Dylan McNary leads Villanova in batting average (.369) and runs scored (14), while Nick Lorusso paces the team in slugging (.517) and on-base percentage (.513). Timothy Lilly's five home runs and JP Radvany's 17 RBI are team-leading marks as well.
• Kingsbury's 3-1 record and 28 strikeouts lead the VU pitching staff, while Mike Schwartz has made a team-high 11 appearances while holding opposing hitters to a .194 average.
• The Bison are mired in an eight-game losing streak, including a 3-2 defeat at the hands of the Hawks last Tuesday in Port Charlotte, Fla. Bucknell will visit St. Bonaventure on Tuesday before the Hawks come to town on Wednesday.
• Caleb Broughton is Bucknell's leader among qualified hitters, checking in with a .311 batting average. Dominic Toso is the only member of the team to play in all 18 games, and leads the squad with 11 runs scored, while JohnPaul Bell has driving in a team-high 11 runs.
• Nate Grisius, who started against the Hawks last week, leads the team with seven appearances on the mound. Jack Grabek has fanned a team-high 23 batters, while Nicholas Sadd has allowed just one hit in 9.2 innings across six appearances.