ORLANDO, Fla. – The Saint Joseph's men's tennis team wrapped up its stay in Florida with a 5-1 win over Fairleigh Dickinson at the USTA National Campus on Friday.
The Hawks went ahead early and didn't look back, taking the doubles point with a pair of victories. Senior Andre Fick and sophomore Nathan Perrone earned a 6-3 win in the first flight before junior Scott Battaglia and sophomore Alex MacNeil clinched the point with a 7-5 victory in the second.
Perrone and Fick gave the Hawks a commanding lead for the second day in a row as the pair picked up wins in the top two singles flights. Perrone led, 6-2, 2-0, in the first flight when his opponent retired, while Fick cruised to a 6-1, 6-1 win in the second flight.
Senior Dan Tan clinched the match in the fourth flight as he rolled to a 6-3, 6-0 win to send the Hawks home on a winning streak. Sophomore Johnnie Massart notched a win as well, taking a 6-2, 6-1 result in the third flight.
"What a great performance from everyone today, and a well-deserved win against Fairleigh Dickinson," assistant coach Marc Pibernat said. "There are no special mentions of any players in this victory, but rather the performance of the entire team [was strong]. That is the way to compete, and if we keep on the same track, great things will happen to us.
"The squad would also like to dedicate the win to our head coach, Ian Crookenden, on a delicate day for him after the tragedy in his native New Zealand. Our thoughts and prayers are with all the families affected and everyone in that amazing country."
The Hawks will be idle until next Friday, when they visit Lehigh.
Saint Joseph's 5, Fairleigh Dickinson 1
1. Andre Fick / Nathan Perrone (SJU) def. Mehdi Dhouib / Andris Gudins (FDU), 6-3
2. Scott Battaglia / Alex MacNeil (SJU) def. Maciej Autuch / Moric Budinszky (FDU), 7-5
3. Eduardo Cabral / Ivan Solans Diaz (FDU) def. Luis Janko / Dan Tan (SJU), 6-2
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Perrone (SJU) def. Dhouib (FDU), 6-2, 2-0, retired
2. Fick (SJU) def. Gudins (FDU), 6-1, 6-1
3. Johnnie Massart (SJU) def. Autuch (FDU), 6-2, 6-1
4. Tan (SJU) def. Budinszky (FDU), 6-3, 6-0
5. Solans Diaz (FDU) led Janko (SJU), 7-6 (4), 1-0 (DNF)
6. Cabral (FDU) def. Sam Sauter (SJU), 6-4, 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 4, 3, 5, 6
Singles: Saint Joseph's 57, Fairleigh Dickinson 30
Doubles: Saint Joseph's 15, Fairleigh Dickinson 14
Total: Saint Joseph's 72, Fairleigh Dickinson 44