ORLANDO, Fla. - Saint Joseph's Amanda Nava earned her ninth consecutive victory at No. 1 singles, but the Hawks' women's tennis team fell to Western Carolina, 6-1, Thursday at the USTA National Campus.
Looking to keep her unbeaten streak in singles alive, Nava posted a 6-4, 6-4 victory over Western Carolina's Jordan Strickland at the top flight to pick up a point for SJU.
The Catamounts leaned on their deep roster though in the other matches as they claimed wins at the other five singles flights, and picked up the doubles' point.
"Too deep a team for our ladies, though it was good to have Isis and Laura back in the line up for doubles," said SJU head coach Ian Crookenden. "Still uncertain when Laura will be ready for singles action, but Amanda continues to roll through her opponents."
The Hawks (1-8) cap play at the USTA National Campus versus Fairleigh Dickinson on Friday.
Western Carolina 6, Saint Joseph's 1
1. Savannah Taranto / Jordan Strickland (WC) def. Amanda Nava / Isis Gill-Reid (SJU) 7-5
2. Jacy Smith / Julia Pezzuco (WC) def. Paige Conrad / Laura Gomez (SJU) 6-3
3. Alexa Webb / Carling Deehr (WC) def. Katherine Devlin / Iswarya Vel (SJU) 6-0
1. Amanda Nava (SJU) def. Jordan Strickland (WC) 6-4, 6-4
2. Jacy Smith (WC) def. Isis Gill-Reid (SJU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Savannah Taranto (WC) def. Paige Conrad (SJU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Carling Deehr (WC) def. Alex Kramer (SJU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Alexa Webb(WC) def. Katherine Devlin (SJU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Julia Pezzuco (WC) def. Madeline Hill (SJU) 6-0, 6-1
Singles: Western Carolina 68, Saint Joseph's 24
Doubles: Western Carolina 19, Saint Joseph's 8
Total: Western Carolina 87, Saint Joseph's 32
Receive all of the latest news and info on SJU women's tennis with Hawk E-News –SIGN UP