The Saint Joseph's baseball team will take one more trip to North Carolina this weekend, visiting the USA Baseball Complex in Cary for four games. The Hawks will meet Army West Point on Friday, both Tulane and Fairleigh Dickinson on Saturday, and Dartmouth on Sunday.
Friday, 10:00 a.m. (Army West Point): Live Stats
Saturday, Noon (Tulane): Sports 1280 AM New Orleans
Saturday, 4:30 p.m. (Fairleigh Dickinson): none
Sunday, Noon (Dartmouth): none
Friday: RHP Cole Stetzar (SJU) vs. LHP Tyler Giovinco (USMA)
Saturday (TU): RHP Jake Meyers (SJU) vs. RHP Keagan Gillies (TUL)
Saturday (FDU): RHP Jordan DiValerio (SJU) vs. TBA (FDU)
Sunday: RHP Matt Kennedy (SJU) vs. TBA (DART)
ON THE DIAMOND
SAINT JOSEPH'S (1-3)
• The Hawks traveled to High Point last weekend for a three-game series, but all three contests were washed out due to rain.
• A week earlier, the Hawks split a pair of games at UNC Wilmington and dropped both games they played against VMI.
• In the four games at UNCW, junior James McConnon hit .529 on his way to Philadelphia Big 5 Baseball Player of the Week honors. Senior Jake Meyers tossed six shutout innings in the win over the Seahawks to earn Big 5 Co-Pitcher of the Week accolades as well.
• Over the four-game stretch, sophomore Brendan Hueth stole five bases without being thrown out.
ARMY WEST POINT (3-2)
• Last Thursday, the Black Knights swept a doubleheader at Longwood, winning by 12-2 and 10-3 scores. Friday's series finale was canceled.
• The previous weekend, Army West Point opened its season with a 17-2 rout of rival Air Force before falling to top-ranked LSU, 6-5, and UL-Monroe, 10-3; all three games were played at LSU's Alex Box Stadium.
• Giovinco is off to a strong start, posting a 2-0 record with a 2.25 earned run average. He has struck out eight against just two walks and opponents are hitting .222 against him over 12.0 innings.
• The Green Wave are off to a hot start, opening the 2019 campaign with five consecutive wins. After dropping two out of three last weekend at Mississippi, Tulane took an early lead and made it stand en route to a 7-4 win at Nicholls.
• Gillies has made two appearances, posting no decisions with a 9.00 ERA across nine innings of work.
FAIRLEIGH DICKINSON (1-0-1)
• The Knights opened their season with a pair of home games last weekend. On Friday, a 5-0 lead over Seton Hall evaporated in the middle innings, but Tom Ruscitti's 10th-inning single brought home the winning run in a 6-5 win. A day later, FDU tallied a run in the bottom of the eighth to draw level with Dayton, 3-3, before the game was called due to darkness.
• Adam Frank went 4-for-7 in the two games for a .571 average to lead the Knights. Brendan Medoro tossed five innings of relief for FDU to earn the win against Seton Hall.
• The Big Green opened its season last Friday with a 4-3 win over UT-San Antonio, but the Roadrunners bounced back to win the final three games of the series down in Texas.
• Nate Ostmo is Darmouth's leading hitter, posting a .385 average over the opening series, while Cole O'Connor went 7.1 innings on the mound on Opening Day, allowing three runs on eight hits, to secure the win.