The Saint Joseph's women's basketball team opens the 2018-19 season this Friday as the Hawks host Big 5 Temple at 5 p.m. at Hagan Arena. Starting Friday, all of the Hawks' digital-only home games will be broadcast on ESPN+.
SAINT JOSEPH'S HAWKS (0-0)
vs. TEMPLE OWLS (1-0)
November 9, 2018 • 5:00 p.m.
Hagan Arena • Philadelphia, Pa.
PROBABLE HAWK STARTERS
G - Alyssa Monaghan (Sr.) – 10.1 ppg, 3.8 apg
G - Mary Sheehan (So.) - 2.6 ppg, 1.1 rpg
G - Katie Jekot (R-Fr.) – -- ppg, -- pg
F - Katie Mayock (Fr.) – -- ppg, -- rpg
F - Michala Clay (Sr.) – 1.7 ppg, 0.8 rpg
Series vs. Temple: SJU leads 44-36
Last Meeting: 11/29/17, Temple 69-66
First Meeting: 1/28/74, SJU 42-39
ABOUT THE HAWKS
• Although SJU lost over 70 percent of its scoring, the Hawks welcome back two of the leaders in captains Alyssa Monaghan (10.1 ppg) and Avery Marz (1.4 ppg).
• Sophomore Mary Sheehan and redshirt Katie Jekot return to the Hawks' roster in 2018-19. Sheehan missed the final 18 games last year due to a shoulder injury, while Jekot sat out the year after suffering a knee injury.
• The Hawks welcome five newcomers to this year's squad in freshmen Elizabeth Marsicano, Katie Mayock and Devyne Newman, and graduate transfers Rachel Gartner and Ashlyn Wert.
• Saint Joseph's earned its second consecutive WNIT bid, and 12th in program history, last year and set a new record for games played with 34.
• Saint Joseph’s was picked fifth in the A-10 Preseason Poll.
• Last year’s squad was picked third in the poll, and despite tying for fifth in the league, the Hawks reached the A-10 title game, advanced to the second round of the WNIT and finished the season with a 19-15 overall record.
• Alyssa Monaghan was named to the 2018-19 Atlantic 10 Preseason All-Conference Third Team
SJU VERSUS TEMPLE
• Saint Joseph's has lost two straight to the Owls, including a 69-66 loss last year despite a late rally.
• The Hawks have posted a 23-15 record at home versus Temple.
• The 80 meetings with the Owls are the most for SJU against any opponent.
FAN EXPERIENCE ENHANCEMENTS FOR 2018-19
• A free public Wifi network — “Hagan Guest” — has been installed and is available to all fans. No login or personal identification is required to access this service, which is compatible with all common mobile devices. Multiple new access points provide coverage throughout Hagan Arena as well as interactivity for live statistics, out-of-town scores, video board photos and other digital content.
• The entire arena has been equipped with Eaton Ephesus LED Sports Lighting. This state-of-the-art system includes color tuning fixtures, RGB color options throughout the playing and seating areas, digital network controls, and photo metrics. In addition to enhanced broadcast quality and safety measures, the new system dramatically increases production capability and special effects within the arena.
• The Hawks begin the road portion of the season, but don't travel too far as they head to city rival Drexel on Sunday. Game time is set for 2 p.m. at the Daskalakis Center.
Receive all of the latest news and info on SJU women's basketball with Hawk E-News – SIGN UP