The third seeded Saint Joseph's women's soccer team takes on second seed VCU in the semifinals of the Atlantic 10 Championship this Friday at 3:30 p.m. at Dayton's Baujan Field. Friday's match will be streamed live on ESPN+ with the winner advancing to face either top seed Saint Louis of fourth seed George Mason in the title match on Sunday at noon.
ABOUT THE HAWKS
• The third seeded Hawks topped sixth seed Fordham, 2-0, in Saturday's quarterfinal match at Sweeney Field to advance to the semifinals.
• Taylor Ryan and Morgan Bower each scored for SJU, while Grace Bendon made two saves in a shutout victory.
• The Hawks are making their fifth straight, and ninth overall, Atlantic 10 Championship appearance, all coming under the guidance of head coach Jess Mannella.
• Saint Joseph's has posted a 5-8 record in the conference tournament and has advancedto the semifinals for three consecutive years.
• This season, the Hawks went 8-2-0 on conference play to finish tied with George Mason at 24 points. Saint Joseph's earned the third seed on tie breaker as it downed the Patriots during the regular season.
• Saint Joseph's was picked to finish sixth in the conference standings according to the A-10's preseason poll.
• The Hawks topped VCU, 2-0, in the regular season, however the Rams hold a 2-1-0 edge in the all-time series.
• SJU fell to VCU, 1-0, in last year's semifinals of the A-10 Championship.
•The Hawks enter the week ranked sixth in this week's United Soccer Coaches East Region Poll. This week also marks the 11th straight week SJU has made an appearance in the regional poll.
ABOUT THE RAMS
• VCU enters its semifinals match of the 2018 A-10 Championship as the two seed and are coming off a 3-2 win over seventh seed George Washington in the quarterfinals.
• The Rams earned the second seed in the conference tournament after going 9-1-0, with their lone loss to the Hawks.
• On the offensive side, Samantha Jerabek leads VCU and is tied for second in the A-10 in goals (10), assists (seven) and points (27).
• Playing a bulk of the minutes in goal, Audrey Sanderson is currently fifth in the A-10 in goals-against-average (0.87) and is 13-2-0 overall.
Receive all of the latest news and info on SJU women's soccer with Hawk E-News – SIGN UP