ORLANDO, Fla. – The Saint Joseph's men's tennis team saw its season come to an end in the Atlantic 10 quarterfinals on Friday as the Hawks fell to top-seeded VCU, 4-0, at the USTA National Campus.
“VCU is an exceptional team with great talent, balance of lineup, and experience,” head coach Ian Crookenden said. “The Hawks today were a little step slower than yesterday, and whether it was the fatigue from the previous match or the power of their opponents, either way it contributed to their gallant but losing effort.”
The Rams took the early lead in the match with wins in second and third doubles flights. When the point was clinched, however, Andre Fick and Tim Stierle led their first-flight tilt, 4-3.
VCU claimed the overall victory on the back of wins in the final three singles flights. Stierle and Fick were down a set in the first and second flights, respectively, but led the second set of each match. Peter DeWitt held the lead, up a set and 2-0 in the second, over Philip Mobius in the third flight when play was halted.
“A strong showing by leader Tim Stierle in the number-one position and Peter DeWitt at number three proved we were in the battle, but the match was clinched before their efforts could be rewarded,” Crookenden said.
“It was a tough loss today, but the team competed hard until the last point,” assistant coach Marc Pibernat added. “It was great watching the seniors, Tim and Peter, putting on a performance in their last match as Hawks. They will both be missed tremendously next year.
“All I can say as their coach is that I am so proud of the way they turned over their season, finishing much stronger and more competitive. Today, we showed that we can compete against the best when we are all pulling in the same direction.”
VCU 4, Saint Joseph's 0
1. Tim Stierle / Andre Fick (SJU) led Vitor Lima / Javier Amantegui (VCU), 4-3
2. Inigo Torre Martin / Arvid Noren (VCU) def. Peter DeWitt / Dan Tan (SJU), 6-1
3. Philip Mobius / Ignacio Rivero Crespo (VCU) def. Johnnie Massart / Scott Battaglia (SJU), 6-2
Order of Finish: 2, 3
1. Noren (VCU) led Stierle (SJU), 6-3, 2-3
2. Lima (VCU) led Fick (SJU), 6-2, 2-4
3. DeWitt (SJU) led Mobius (VCU), 6-4, 2-0
4. Amantegui (VCU) def. Tan (SJU), 6-2, 6-2
5. Martin (VCU) def. Massart (SJU), 6-1, 6-2
6. Crespo (VCU) def. Luis Janko (SJU), 6-0, 6-3
Order of Finish: 5, 4, 6
Singles: VCU 56, Saint Joseph's 30
Doubles: VCU 15, Saint Joseph's 7
Total: VCU 71, Saint Joseph's 37