ORLANDO, Fla. - Putting forth a strong effort, the Saint Joseph's women's tennis team's 2017-18 season came to a close on Wednesday as the 11th seeded Hawks fell to sixth seed Massachusetts, 4-0, in the opening round of the Atlantic 10 Championship.
Starting the day with doubles play at the USTA National Campus, the Minutewomen took the opening point of the match with wins at the first and third flights. Junior Isis Gill-Reid and freshman Amanda Nava battled at the top flight for SJU (5-16), but fell to Laura Moreno and Ruth Crawford, 6-1.
Nava and Gill-Reid were up a set in each of their respecitve matches when the overall match was called as Massachusetts captured the final point it needed as SJU's Gomez dropped a 6-1, 6-4 decision to Kovacevic at the third flight.
#6 Massachusetts 4, #11 Saint Joseph's 0
1. Laura Moreno/Ruth Crawford (UM) def. Amanda Nava/Isis Gill-Reid (SJU) 6-1
2. Lourdes Sprinckmoller/Laura Gomez (SJU) vs. Janja Kovacevic/Martina Bocchi (UM) 5-2, DNF
3. Ana Yrazusta/Anna Napadiy (UM) def. Maureen Devlin/Katherine Devlin (SJU) 6-0
1. Amanda Nava (SJU) vs. Ruth Crawford (UM) 6-4, 3-3 DNF
2. Ana Yrazusta (UM) def. Maureen Devlin (SJU) 6-0, 6-2
3. Janja Kovacevic (UM) def. Laura Gomez (SJU) 6-1, 6-4
4. Isis Gill-Reid (SJU) vs. Laura Moreno (UM) 6-2, 2-3, DNF
5. Anna Napadiy (UM) vs. Lourdes Sprinckmoller (SJU) 6-3, 2-1, DNF
6. Martina Bocchi (UM) def. Katherine Devlin (SJU) 6-4, 6-1