The Saint Joseph's men's tennis team went down to conference foe Saint Louis, 6-1, in its first match against Atlantic 10 competition this season on Saturday night at the University of Pennsylvania's Hecht Tennis Center.
Saint Louis (7-6) took the lead early with wins in the top two doubles flights. Sophomore Scott Battaglia and freshman Johnnie Massart earned a win, however, by topping Oscar Pachon and Kenji Yanaba in the third flight, 6-3.
Saint Joseph's (2-4) got on the board thanks to sophomore Beekman Schaeffer, who topped John Nogalski in straight sets, 6-4, 6-2, in the second flight, but the Billikens ultimately took the other five flights to come away with the match victory.
Sunday's previously scheduled match against Bucknell has been canceled due to unfavorable conditions. The Hawks are set to host Chestnut Hill on Wednesday afternoon at the SJU Tennis Complex.
Saint Louis 6, Saint Joseph's 1
1. David Ferragut / Juan Calero (SLU) def. Beekman Schaeffer / Tim Stierle (SJU), 6-3
2. John Nogalski / Justin Nogalski (SLU) def. Dan Tan / Andre Fick (SJU), 6-1
3. Johnnie Massart / Scott Battaglia (SJU) def. Oscar Pachon / Kenji Yanaba (SLU), 6-3
1. Ferragut (SLU) def. Stierle (SJU), 6-4, 6-4
2. Schaeffer (SJU) def. Jo. Nogalski (SLU), 6-4, 6-2
3. Calero (SLU) def. Fick (SJU), 6-2, 3-6, 7-6
4. Pachon (SLU) def. Tan (SJU), 6-3, 6-3
5. Ju. Nogalski (SLU) def. Massart (SJU), 6-4, 6-2
6. Yanaba (SLU) def. Luis Janko (SJU), 6-1, 6-1
Singles: Saint Louis 70, Saint Joseph's 48
Doubles: Saint Louis 15, Saint Joseph's 10
Total: Saint Louis 85, Saint Joseph's 58