The Saint Joseph's baseball team will take part in the 15th annual Keith LeClair Classic this weekend, to be played at Clark-LeClair Stadium on the campus of East Carolina. The Hawks will take on Missouri State on Friday and Pepperdine on Saturday before wrapping up the weekend against the host Pirates on Sunday in Greenville, North Carolina.
• Saint Joseph's (1-3) comes into the tournament after closing last weekend's series at Portland with a win. The Hawks pounded out 12 hits en route to a 9-8 win for their first victory of the 2018 campsign. Freshman Brian Edgington earned the win in relief, with classmate Ryan Devine tossing a shuout ninth for his first career save.
• Sophomore catcher James McConnon led the Hawks with a .417 average over three starts. Junior Charlie Concannon hit .400 with a pair of runs batted in, while freshman Brendan Hueth hit .375 and posted a .563 slugging percentage on the weekend.
• Senior Justin Aungst turned in a solid start on the mound on Saturday, tossing five innings and allowing two runs on five hits while striking out seven.
• The Hawks will face a tough field in Greenville. Missouri State (4-2) enters the weekend coming off of a doubleheader split on Sunday at Central Arkansas. The Bears are led offensively by Ben Whetstone (.364 average) and John Privitera (.333 average), while Dylan Coleman checks in with a 1-0 record and a 0.64 earned run average after allowing one run and striking out 20 in 14.0 innings thus far.
• Pepperdine (3-6) fell at Campbell on Wednesday to extend their skid to three straight games. The Waves opened the season by splitting a four-game set with Louisiana Tech before falling at UCLA and dropping two of three to Michigan State. Brandt Belk is Pepperdine's leading hitter with a .350 average, while Wil Jensen and Christian Stoutland pace the pitching staff with a cumulative 0.67 ERA in a combined 26.2 innings pitched.
• The host, #18 East Carolina (7-1), is off to a hot start after opening with five consecutive wins. Last weekend, the Pirates took two out of three from then-sixth-ranked North Carolina before routing Old Dominion, 10-3, on Wednesday. Brady Lloyd and Connor Litton are atop the ledgers with a .500 and a .467 batting average, respectively, while Spencer Brickhouse leads the way with three home runs and 11 RBI. On the mound, the Pirates have compiled a 2.00 team ERA, with Holba not allowing a run and fanning 16 in a team-high 11.2 innings.
• After wrapping up the Keith LeClair Classic, Saint Joseph's will head to the Sunshine State for six games in Port Charlotte, Florida, as part of the Snowbird Classic. The Hawks will play single games against Florida International and Western Michigan before playing a pair against Georgetown and two against Notre Dame.