MEDIA, Pa. - The Saint Joseph's men's tennis team saw its winning streak come to an end on Friday night as the Hawks dropped a 6-1 result to Quinnipiac at the Springton Indoor Tennis Club.
Saint Joseph's (2-3) got a win in the first doubles flight as senior Tim Stierle and sophomore Beekman Schaeffer secured a 6-3 victory, but the Bobcats earned the doubles point with wins in the second and third flights.
Quinnipiac (3-3) then sealed the overall result by taking five of the six singles matches. Senior Peter Dewitt came away with a win for the Hawks, however, as he battled back from a set down to top Kyle Alper, 3-6, 6-4, 10-5, in a supertiebreaker in the third flight.
"We were close in a lot of matches, but we played tired tennis tonight," head coach Ian Crookenden said. "A very energetic opponent took advantage and swept all but Peter's singles match."
The Hawks will play their final scheduled indoor home contest of the season next Saturday night when they host Atlantic 10 foe Saint Louis at 8:00 p.m.
Quinnipiac 6, Saint Joseph's 1
1. Beekman Schaeffer / Tim Stierle (SJU) def. Julian Rozenstein / Freddie Zaretsky (QU), 6-3
2. Kyle Alper / Patrick Cachapero (QU) def. Andre Fick / Dan Tan (SJU), 6-3
3. Axel Stern / Austin Yannone (QU) def. Peter Dewitt / Johnnie Massart (SJU), 6-4
1. Rozenstein (QU) def. Stierle (SJU), 6-2, 6-3
2. Zaretsky (QU) def. Schaeffer (SJU), 6-2, 6-4
3. Dewitt (SJU) def. Alper (QU), 3-6, 6-4, 10-5 (STB)
4. Cachapero (QU) def. Fick (SJU), 4-6, 7-6 (5), 12-10 (STB)
5. Stern (QU) def. Tan (SJU), 6-2, 6-3
6. Hielke Moore (QU) def. Massart (SJU), 6-3, 6-3
Singles: Quinnipiac 70, Saint Joseph's 44
Doubles: Quinnipiac 15, Saint Joseph's 13
Total: Quinnipiac 85, Saint Joseph's 57