ORLANDO, Fla. – The Saint Joseph's men's tennis team was eliminated from the Atlantic 10 Championship on Friday as the seventh-seeded Hawks fell to second-seeded defending champion George Washington, 4-0, in the quarterfinal round at the USTA National Campus.
The Colonials took the early lead with a pair of doubles wins. Junior Peter Dewitt and sophomore Dan Tan held a 5-4 lead in their third-flight tilt, but play was halted after GW had claimed results in the first two flights.
The Hawks took an early lead in a pair of singles matches as senior Kyle Chalmers and Dewitt won the first set in their second and sixth flight matches, respectively, but the Colonials secured the match victory with wins in the first, third, and fourth flights to advance to Saturday's semifinal.
The Hawks finish the season at 14-11, tied for the fourth-most wins in a season in program history. Chalmers concludes his career with 73 singles wins, tied for the most ever by a Hawk.
George Washington 4, Saint Joseph's 0
1. Julius Tverijonas / Christopher Fletcher (GW) def. Tim Stierle / Kyle Chalmers (SJU), 6-3
2. Christos Hadjigeorgiou / Fernando Sala (GW) def. Scott Battaglia / Beekman Schaeffer (SJU), 6-2
3. Peter Dewitt / Dan Tan (SJU) led Chris Reynolds / Jakub Behun (GW), 5-4
Order of Finish: 2, 1
1. Tverijonas (GW) def. Stierle (SJU), 6-0, 6-3
2. Chalmers (SJU) led Fletcher (GW), 6-4, 2-3, DNF
3. Reynolds (GW) def. Andre Fick (SJU), 6-1, 6-2
4. Hadjigeorgiou (GW) def. Schaeffer (SJU), 6-3, 6-4
5. Tristan Boustany (SJU) vs. Dennis Afanasev (GW), 6-3, 3-6, DNF
6. Dewitt (SJU) led William Tutecky (GW), 6-4, 3-3, DNF
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 4
Singles: George Washington 59, Saint Joseph's 39
Doubles: George Washington 16, Saint Joseph's 10
Total: George Washington 75, Saint Joseph's 49