MASON, Ohio - The Saint Joseph's women's tennis team's season came to a close Friday at the Atlantic 10 Championships as the sixth-seeded Hawks dropped a hard-fought match to third seed George Washington, 4-0.
Despite the final outcome, the Hawks battled in every match, with three singles matches called early before they could finish as SJU had chances to put points on the board. Saint Joseph's, which earned its highest seed in the Atlantic 10 Championship this season under head coach Ian Crookenden, set a single-season record for wins this year, capping it at 16-8.
"I hate that a score can not reflect the drama and tension of a match. The 0-4 score in no way indicates how close our ladies came to an upset," said Crookenden. "Too bad the season ended, but it was a great run by a very good team. Losing is never a comfort and our ladies fought tooth and nail against a very tough opponent."
Opening with doubles play, the Hawks' duo of Aurora Davis and Alex Zachem traded shots with the Colonials' Isabella Escobar and Taylor Nederlander, but the GW team would come out in the end in a highly-contested match, 8-6.
Saint Joseph's Devi Jadeja and Kelly Mulquin were on the verge of taking the third flight as they led the tie-breaker 6-3, but George Washington would get an 8-2 win at the second flight just ahead of that to take the first point of the match.
Moving to singles matches, the Hawks again showed the Colonials that they were their equal. Mulquin led her match at the fourth singles flight, while Arianne Polatnick and Davis were trading shots at the sixth and first flights when the match was called.
Freshman Claire Minnoe went to three sets at the fifth flight, but eventually fell to Escobar, 3-6, 6-1, 6-1, as Kristina Eisenbrand and Jadeja traded shots at the second and third flights before falling.
1. Lana Robins (GW) vs. Aurora Davis (SJU), 7-6 (3), 6-6 (3-1) DNF
2. Leah Pascarella (GW) def. Kristina Eisenbrand (SJU), 6-4, 6-3
3. Taylor Nederlander (GW) def. Devi Jadeja (SJU), 6-3, 6-2
4. Egle Jakuciunaite (GW) vs. Kelly Mulquin (SJU), 1-6, 4-5 DNF
5. Isabella Escobar (GW) def. Claire Minnoe (SJU), 3-6, 6-1, 6-1
6. Grace Egger (GW) vs. Arianne Polatnick (SJU), 2-6, 6-3, 4-2 DNF
Order of finish: #2, #3, #5
1. Escobar/Nederlander (GW) def. Aurora Davis/Alex Zachem (SJU), 8-6
2. Robins/Allison Hansen (GW) def. Kristina Eisenbrand/Lauren Roy (SJU), 8-2
3.Pascarella/Christina Carpenter (GW) vs. Devi Jadeja /Kelly Mulquin (SJU), 7-7 (3-6) DNF
Order of finish: #2, #1