CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - The Saint Joseph's men's tennis team advanced to the quarterfinals of the Atlantic 10 Men's Tennis Championship on Thursday afternoon with a 4-0 win over La Salle. The Hawks won both completed doubles matches before taking three straight singles matches to secure the win.
"The boys played solid doubles and singles today," remarked head coach Ian Crookenden. "It will be good preparation for tomorrow's challenge against #3-seed Duquesne. We have nothing to lose, and if we stay relaxed, it will be a really good contest."
Urrea blitzed through his fourth-flight singles match, 6-1, 6-0, before Brondeau scored a 6-2, 6-0 win of his own in the second flight. Dan Barrus then clinched the match with a 6-0, 4-6, 6-1 win in the third flight.
Saint Joseph's will take on Duquesne in the quarterfinals on Friday. The match is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. at the Boar's Head Club.
Saint Joseph's 4, La Salle 0
1. Sierra (SJU) led Fennell (LAS), 6-0, 4-6, 5-0 (DNF)
2. Brondeau (SJU) def. Berenato (LAS), 6-2, 6-0
3. Barrus (SJU) def. Fetterman (LAS), 6-0, 4-6, 6-1
4. Urrea (SJU) def. Kasinow (LAS), 6-0, 6-1
5. Chalmers (SJU) led Balico (LAS), 6-1, 5-4 (DNF)
6. Tristan Boustany (SJU) led McLeod (LAS), 6-4, 5-4 (DNF)