MERION STATION, Pa. – The Saint Joseph’s men’s tennis squad continued its run of good form, winning its sixth match out of seven with a 5-2 triumph over Saint Peter’s on Saturday.
The Hawks started with a clean sweep in doubles play to take the early lead. The Peacocks earned points in the first and second singles flights, but SJU notched straight-sets victories in the third through sixth flights to improve to 15-5 on the season.
Kyle Chalmers took a 6-1, 6-3 decision in the third flight, while Tristan Boustany notched his seventh straight win with a 6-1, 6-1 triumph in the fourth. Paranjay Malhotra scored a 6-4, 6-3 win in flight number five, and Valentijn van Erven
“It was a gritty performance against a tougher than expected Saint Peter’s squad,” head coach Ian Crookenden said of his team’s victory. “Our last match of the regular season tomorrow will be equally challenging.”
That match, against Chestnut Hill College, begins at 1:00 p.m. on Sunday at the SJU Tennis Complex.
Saint Joseph’s 5, Saint Peter’s 2
1. Knezevic (SPC) def. Brondeau (SJU), 4-6, 4-3, retired
2. Jottrand (SPC) def. Urrea (SJU), 6-1, 1-6, 7-6 (4)
3. Chalmers (SJU) def. Valdiviezo (SPC), 6-1, 6-2
4. Tristan Boustany (SJU) def. Bellomi (SPC), 6-1, 6-1
5. Paranjay Malhotra (SJU) def. Rodriguez (SPC), 6-4, 6-3
6. Valentijn van Erven (SJU) def. Whaley (SPC), 6-2, 6-1
Singles: Saint Joseph’s 70, Saint Peter’s 37
Doubles: Saint Joseph’s 24, Saint Peter’s 14
Total: Saint Joseph’s 94, Saint Peter’s 51