MERION STATION, Pa. - The Saint Joseph's men's tennis team battled back from an early deficit to score a 5-2 win over Villanova on Friday afternoon. The Hawks took five of six singles matches en route to the victory.
The Wildcats won both the first and third doubles flights to win the doubles point and take an early lead. However, SJU pulled down wins in the second through sixth flights to secure the overall match victory.
“We started nervously and lost the doubles point quickly,” said head coach Ian Crookenden after the match. “But the guys regrouped and started playing their games without the tension of wanting to win against a rival. It was a very satisfying and deserved result against a tough team.”
The Hawks will play their final two matches before the Atlantic 10 Championship this weekend when they host Saint Peter’s on Saturday and Chestnut Hill on Sunday. Both matches begin at 1:00 p.m. at the SJU Tennis Complex.
Saint Joseph’s 5, Villanova 2
1. O’Brien (VU) def. Sierra (SJU), 6-7 (2), 6-1, 7-6 (4)
2. Brondeau (SJU) def. Mark Miller (VU), 6-3, 7-6 (4)
3. Urrea (SJU) def. Ryan Peyton (VU), 6-2, 6-1
4. Chalmers (SJU) def. Donaldson (VU), 6-4, 6-2
5. Boustany (SJU) def. Rosengren (VU), 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
6. Malhotra (SJU) def. Chris Cua (VU), 7-6 (3), 6-4
Singles: Saint Joseph’s 79, Villanova 60
Doubles: Villanova 20, Saint Joseph’s 10
Total: Saint Joseph’s 89, Villanova 80