MERION STATION, Pa. - The Saint Joseph's women's tennis team continued its winning ways on Wednesday as the Hawks picked up a 6-1 win over local rival Villanova. Saint Joseph's won the doubles point and took five of six singles matches to improve to 12-7 on the year.
The Hawks earned their fourth straight win by jumping on the Wildcats early with wins at all three doubles flights. Aurora Davis and Alex Zachem teamed for an 8-3 win over Mikelle Mancini and Tori Smyth at the top flight, while Kristina Eisenbrand and Sarah Contrata were 8-4 winners at the second flight versus Kate Pettee and Linley Busby. Devi Jadeja and completed the sweep with an 8-4 win over Connor Brewer and Samantha Schafer at the final flight.
Moving to singles action, Davis battled Mancini to a three-set win, 6-3, 2-6, 12-10, while Eisenbrand made quick qork of Smyth at No. 2 singles, 6-4, 6-1. Jadeja picked up a 6-4, 6-1 win versus Schafer at the third flight, while Kelly Mulquin won in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2, versus Pettee. Arianne Polatnick closed out sixth SJU point with a 6-1, 6-3 win over Busby at the fifth flight.
"It's always satisfying when we play well against our traditional rival Villanova. And it's especially sweet to sweep the doubles, an area the team is getting better at," said head coach Ian Crookenden. "Everybody played well and fought hard in true Hawk spirit."
The Hawks return to action this weekend when they host Saint Peters and Chestnut Hill.
1. Aurora Davis / Alex Zachem (SJU) def. Mikelle Mancini / Tori Smyth (VU) 8-3
2. Kristina Eisenbrand / Sarah Contrata (SJU) def. Kate Pettee / Linley Busby (VU) 8-4
3. Devi Jadeja / Lauren Roy (SJU) def. Connor Brewer / Samantha Schafer (VU) 8-4
1. Aurora Davis (SJU) def. Mikelle Mancini (VU) 6-3, 2-6, 12-10
2. Kristina Eisenbrand (SJU) def. Tori Smyth (VU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Devi Jadeja (SJU) def. Samantha Schafer (VU) 6-4, 6-1
4. Kelly Mulquin (SJU) def. Kate Pettee (VU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Arianne Polatnick (SJU) def. Linley Busby (VU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Connor Brewer (VU) def. Lauren Roy (SJU) 6-4, 7-5