NEWARK, Del. - The Saint Joseph's women's tennis team picked up its first win of the season with a 4-3 victory at Delaware on Saturday evening. The Hawks claimed four of six singles matches as they earned their first win over the Blue Hens in team history.
Starting at doubles, freshman Sarah Contrata and sophomore Kristina Eisenbrand were 8-7 winners at the second flight, but Delaware earned victories at the first and third flights to take an early 1-0 lead.
Freshman Claire Minnoe tied the match at 3-3 at the fifth flight, topping Olivia Heim, 6-3, 6-1.
With the match on the line, sophomore Arianne Polatnick came through for the Hawks. After dropping the first set to Kim Milla, 6-2, Polatnick battled back for a 6-2 win in the second set and earned a 10-6 win in the final set to clinch the match for Saint Joseph's.
"The ladies played with the great competitive spirit they have shown in previous matches and validated that they are a much better team than their record," said head coach Ian Crookenden. "Great singles play down the line, highlighted by Arianne's tie breaker to clinch the match after it was notched at 3-3. I can not be happier for this outstanding squad of Hawk athletes."
The Hawks return to action March 15 at St. Bonaventure.
1. Aurora Davis (SJU) def. Danea Jonjic (Del.) 7-6 (3), 6-2
2. Dorothy Safron (Del.) def. Kristina Eisenbrand (SJU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Carmen Lai (Del.) def. Devi Jadeja (SJU) 6-4, 6-1
4. Kelly Mulquin (SJU) def. Natalia Naumova (Del.) 6-1, 6-2
5. Claire Minnoe (SJU) def. Olivia Heim (Del.) 6-3, 6-1
6. Arianne Polatnick (SJU) def. Kim Milla (Del.) 2-6, 6-2, 10-6