MEDIA, Pa. – The Saint Joseph’s men’s tennis team evened its spring record with a 4-3 win over Monmouth at the Springton Indoor Tennis Club on Saturday. Junior Pierre Brondeau led the way with wins in both doubles and singles play.
Brondeau teamed up with Kevin Gates for an 8-3 win in the third doubles flight before cruising to a 6-0, 6-4 win in the second singles flight. Also earning a doubles win was the pairing of Dan Barrus and Jose Sierra, who led 3-1 before their opposition retired from the match.
“It was an excellent match with some tight matches across the board against a very solid and determined opponent,” said head coach Ian Crookenden after the Hawks’ final scheduled indoor match of the season. “We’re looking forward to starting our outdoor season.”
The Hawks are slated to host the Drexel Dragons at the SJU Tennis Complex on March 5 before heading on their annual spring break road trip.
Saint Joseph’s 4, Monmouth 3
1. Pugliese (MON) def. Sierra (SJU), 6-7 (4), 6-2, 6-0
2. Brondeau (SJU) def. Luke Adamus (MON), 6-0, 6-4
3. Kumthonkittikul (MON) def. Barrus (SJU), 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (3)
4. Urrea (SJU) def. Vieira (MON), 6-3, 6-4
5. Chalmers (SJU) def. Marcinkowski (MON), 6-1, 3-6, 6-3
6. Bekhiet (MON) def. Jason Sisti (SJU), 6-4, 1-6, 6-2
Singles: Saint Joseph’s 76, Monmouth 69
Doubles: Saint Joseph’s 17, Monmouth 12
Total: Saint Joseph’s 93, Monmouth 81