MEDIA, Pa. - The Saint Joseph's women's tennis team dropped a hard-fought match to Quinnipiac, 4-3, late Friday evening at the Springton Indoor Tennis Club.
Beginning the match at doubles, the visiting Bobcats took the first point of the match with wins at the second and third flights.
Sophomore Arianne Polatnick picked up the third point for SJU, besting Ariana Launie (QU) 6-1, 6-2 and tying the match at three all.
With the outcome on the line at third singles, SJU senior Devi Jadeja battled Rachel Horton into the third set after they split the first two 6-3 and 6-1, respectively. In the final set, Horton would catch crucial shots to earn a 7-5 win for her and Quinnipiac.
"Sometimes matches are lost because a team does not take opportunities presented and sometimes you lose because the opponent makes their shot and beats you. This was the case last night," said head coach Ian Crookenden. "The team played a very good opponent to a standstill but lost by one or two shots. Captain Devi Jadeja played some great tennis to the bitter end and though she lost, she made her team proud by her determined gritty fighting performance. I am very proud of our team which is much better than their present record which I am sure will be proved by future results as the season progresses."
Additionally, playing in exhibition matches, freshman Claire Minnoe was a 6-3, 6-1 winner over Kelsi Oliphant, while classmates Mary-Margaret Ewens and Sarah Contrata teamed for a 7-6 doubles win over Daniella Reyes and Nicole Keklik.
The Hawks return to action at Delaware next Saturday, March 1, at 6 p.m.
1. Aurora Davis (SJU) def. Sophia Dzulynsky (QU) 3-6, 6-1, 7-5
2. Jacqueline Raynor (QU) def. Kristina Eisenbrand (SJU) 6-4, 6-4
3. Rachel Horton (QU) def. Devi Jadeja (SJU) 3-6, 6-1, 7-5
4. Kelly Mulquin (SJU) def. Sydney Young (QU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Michelle Dassa (QU) def. Alex Zachem (SJU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Arianne Polatnick (SJU) def. Ariana Launie (QU) 6-1, 6-2
Claire Minnoe (SJU) def. Kelsi Oliphant (QU) 6-3, 6-1
1. Davis/Zachem (SJU) vs. Horton/Young (QU) Unfinished (6-4)
2. Raynor/Dassa (QU) def. Eisenbrand/Mulquin (SJU) 8-2
3. Dzulynsky/Oliphant (QU) def. Jadeja/Anne Marie Devlin (SJU) 8-3
/Sarah Contrata (SJU) def. Daniella Reyes/Nicole Keklik (QU) 7-6