MEDIA, Pa. - The Saint Joseph's women's tennis team got a singles victory from sophomore Arianne Polatnick, but dropped its match with a talented Akron squad, 6-1, Saturday evening at the Springton Indoor Tennis Club.
Opening at doubles, the Hawks (0-2) fell behind Akron (7-0) 1-0 as the Zips took matches at the top two flights, while the third match did not finish.
Switching to singles action, Polatnick posted a strong effort at the sixth flight, topping Akron's Caroline Harpaintner in straight sets, 7-5, 7-5. Unfortunately for SJU, the Zips would take the other five matches to claim the team win.
"Today's match was a very tough one that was much closer than the score indicates," said Saint Joseph's head coach Ian Crookenden. "Aurora didn't hit her form tonight, but we had good play from Devi, Kelly and especially Arianne. It really showed that we do not rely upon one or two players for the team to succeed. The Zips are a strong team and they helped us get better today."
Saint Joseph's returns to action next Friday when it hosts Xavier at the Springton Indoor Tennis Club at 8 p.m.
1. Olga Shkundina/Shannon Newnes (Akron) def. Aurora Davis/Alex Zachem (SJU) 6-1
2. Martina Zerbola/Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) Kristina Eisenbrand/Lauren Roy (SJU) 6-4
3. Devi Jadeja/Kelly Mulquin (SJU) vs. Caroline Harpaintner/Karolina Maksimava (Akron) DNF (4-1)
1. Shkundina (Akron) def. Davis (SJU) 6-3, 6-1
2. Maksimaya (Akron) def. Eisenbrand (SJU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Zerbola (Akron) def. Jadeja (SJU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Berestetska (Akron) def. Mulquin (SJU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Newnes (Akron) def. Zachem (SJU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Arianne Polatnick (SJU) def. Caroline Harpaintner (Akron) 7-5, 7-5
Marta Briega (Akron) def. Claire Minnoe (SJU) 8-7 (6) *
* - match did not count towards overall team result