ANNAPOLIS, Md. - The Saint Joseph's women's tennis opened the new season with a strong performance at Navy Saturday afternoon. The Hawks earned the doubles point and picked up two singles victories, but eventualy fell to Navy, 4-3.
"Navy really wanted to play us this year after we took them by suprise last January," said SJU head coach Ian Crookenden. "We had a barn burner the last three matches to decide the match, finishingin super tie breakers. After three hours of tennis, we ended up losing by just two points. The only way it could have been better was if we had won it."
Opening with doubles play, junior Aurora Davis and freshman Alex Zachem teamed for a 6-3 victory at the top flight, while junior Lauren Roy and sophomore Kristina Eisenbrand earned a 6-4 win at the second doubles flight to clinch the match's first point.
Additionally, the teams of senior Devi Jadeja and Kelly Mulquin; and with freshman Claire Minnoe and sophomore Arianne Polatnick were all squared at 3-3 in their doubles matches, but due to the new ITA rules, both matches were called off once the Hawks picked up the point.
Switching to singles, Davis was a straight-set winner at the top flight, posting a 6-3, 6-3 victory. Playing at the fourth flight, Mulquin needed four sets to top Navy's Cassandra Fisbeck, 7-6 (9), 3-6, 10-5.
Having picked up three points, Saint Joseph's would have two singles matches go to three sets to decide the contest. At No. 3 singles, Jadeja and Navy's Audrey Channell traded points, but unfortunately Channell would win the match, 6-3, 6-7 (2), 10-8.
At the sixth singles fligh, Zachem and Summer Ralston were even after the first two sets, trading 7-5 victories. The decisive third set would again came down to the wire, with Ralston earning the victory, 10-8, in the super tie breaker.
"Lots of positives coming out of the match. We had balance in doubles and singles. All classes, seniors to freshmen, were performing well. Today's match was a great start to the season," said Crookenden.
The Hawks return to action February 8 when they host Akron at 3:30 at the Springton Indoor Tennis Club.
1. Alex Zachem / Aurora Davis (SJU) def. Antil/Porter, 6-3
2. Kristina Eisenbrand / Lauren Roy (SJU) def. Snook/Ralston, 6-4
3. Devi Jadeja / Kelly Mulquin (SJU) vs. Sears/Droop, 3-3 unfinished
4. Claire Minnoe / Arianne Polatnick (SJU) vs. Winter/Channell, 3-3, unfinished
1. Aurora Davis (SJU) def. Winter, 6-3, 6-3
2. Porter (Navy) def. Kristina Eisenbrand, 6-1, 6-4
3. Channell (Navy) def. Devi Jadeja, 6-3, 6-7 (2), 10-8
4. Kelly Mulquin (SJU) def. Fisbeck, 7-6 (9), 3-6, 10-5
5. Chau (Navy) def. Lauren Roy, 6-3, 6-3
6. Ralston (Navy) def. Alex Zachem, 7-5, 5-7, 10-8