WASHINGTON, D.C. – Led by three-point efforts from sophomore midfielder Tim Lazorko and junior forward Alex Critzos and a strong aggressiveness and speed on both the offensive and defensive ends of the field, the Saint Joseph’s men’s soccer team earned its second Atlantic 10 win of the season with a 3-1 victory over George Washington on Friday afternoon. The Hawks now own six points in conference standings heading into their final regular-season match at Fordham on Sunday.
Saint Joseph’s (4-8-5, 2-5-0 A-10) did not waste any time getting on the scoreboard as senior midfielder Jimmy Reilly netted SJU's first tally in the seventh minute of action. The play began when senior defender Brian Reynolds battled for and gained possession near the midfield mark. The Hawks pushed the ball up into George Washington’s defensive end of the field and, after the Colonials deflected an SJU corner kick, Lazorko was set up with a throw-in. Lazorko launched the ball toward Reilly, positioned in the middle of the box, and the senior headed his second goal of the season into the right corner of the Colonials’ net to give SJU the early 1-0 advantage.

For the first half, the Hawks held a 5-3 advantage in shots and 3-2 edge in shots on goal while the George Washington (5-9-2, 2-3-2 A-10) saw possession of four of the half’s seven corner kicks.

The Hawks would score again in the 51st minute. After a George Washington defender misplayed the ball and Colonial goalkeeper Luke Farrell was pulled out of the net, Critzos took full advantage of the open GW net to record his third goal of the season en route to giving the Hawks the 2-0 lead with 39 minutes remaining in regulation.

Just six minutes later, Critzos was again involved in a Hawk goal as the junior received a dish from classmate Mike Glazer and headed a pass to Lazorko, who carried the ball up the field and beat Farrell one-on-one to extend SJU’s lead, 3-0. The tally marked Lazorko’s third of the season.

George Washington’s Farhan Khan tallied the Colonials’ lone goal in the 89th minute, with assists coming from Jopus Grevelink and Miles McClearn.

For the match, Saint Joseph’s held a 9-7 advantage in shots (5-3 shots on goal). Despite being outnumbered 3-0 in corner kicks in the second half, the Hawks equaled the Colonials’ in shots, 4-4, with two finding the back of the net.

Saint Joseph’s offensive and defensive ends of the field were brilliant on the afternoon. The midfield duo of junior Jake Nelson and freshman Sam Irvin did solid jobs of pushing the ball upfield to spark offensive opportunities while senior forward Ryan McFadden utilized his speed to make multiple strong runs in his 38 minutes off the bench.

On the back line, Reynolds, senior Brendan Reilly, and junior Tommy Brooks were effective in clearing the ball out of SJU’s defensive zone on a consistent basis throughout the match and only allowing the Colonials three shots on goal for the full 90:00. The trio shut down the potential offensive attack of GW’s Tyler Ranalli and Andri Alexandersson, holding each to just one look at the net each. Senior midfielder Pat McGlynn was also a huge contributor on the defensive end, highlighted by his potentially match-saving play in the 61st minute. The senior slid in and deflected a cross off the foot of GW’s Angel Valencia that looked to be a definite goal opportunity for the Colonials.

Redshirt senior goalkeeper Andrew D'Ottavi (4-8-5, 2-5-0 A-10) made two saves, in the 37th and 39th minute. On the first, Ranalli found a small space and fired off a shot toward the right side of SJU’s goal, but D’Ottavi got low and stifled the attempt. Two minutes later, D’Ottavi grabbed a header attempt by Alexandersson to keep the Colonials off the scoreboard. 

Saint Joseph’s will round out its regular-season schedule this Sunday, November 10, at Fordham. Start time at Jack Coffey Field in scheduled for 1:00 p.m.