PITTSBURGH, Pa. – One day after a tough match at Carnegie Mellon, the Saint Joseph's men's tennis team fell at Duquesne, 5-2, on Sunday afternoon.
The Dukes came away with a sweep of the doubles matches to take an early lead, and earned wins in the second, third, and fourth singles flights to secure to overall victory.
Senior Kyle Chalmers got Saint Joseph's on the board with a 6-7 (6), 6-3, 6-1 win in the top flight, and freshman Beekman Schaeffer earned another point for SJU with a 6-7 (4), 6-4, 10-3 supertiebreaker win in the sixth.
"Once Duquesne got the doubles point, they had confidence going into singles play, and though the guys fought hard, we went down," said head coach Ian Crookenden. "We had some strong matches from Kyle, our captain, and Beekman to get us on the board, but it was too late to stop Duquesne from clinching the win."
The Hawks will look to bounce back on Saturday when they visit Lafayette.
Duquesne 5, Saint Joseph's 2
1. Adam Blasinsky / Chris Corrao (DUQ) def. Kyle Chalmers / Dan Tan (SJU), 7-5
2. Dane Bendel / Andrew Ong (DUQ) def. Tristan Boustany / Andre Fick (SJU), 6-1
3. Jared Isaacs / Dimitris Stavropoulos (DUQ) def. Beekman Schaeffer / Valentijn van Erven (SJU), 6-2
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Chalmers (SJU) def. Stavropoulos (DUQ), 6-7 (6), 6-3, 6-1
2. Blasinsky (DUQ) def. Fick (SJU), 6-4, 6-3
3. Corrao (DUQ) def. Boustany (SJU), 6-2, 6-2
4. Ong (DUQ) def. Tan (SJU), 6-4, 6-4
5. Isaacs (DUQ) def. Peter Dewitt (SJU), 7-6 (0), 6-2
6. Schaeffer (SJU) def. Bendel (DUQ), 6-7 (4), 6-4, 10-3 (STB)
Order of Finish: 4, 2, 3, 1, 5, 6
Singles: Duquesne 71, Saint Joseph's 58
Doubles: Duquesne 19, Saint Joseph's 8
Total: Duquesne 90, Saint Joseph's 66