MASON, Ohio - The Saint Joseph's women's tennis team took the first step towards winning its first Atlantic 10 title as the sixth-seeded Hawks downed 11th seed George Mason, 4-0, Thursday afternoon at the A-10 Championship at the Linderner Family Tennis Center.
Saint Joseph's (16-7) will now face third seed George Washington at 1 p.m. Friday in the quarterfinals.
Playing doubles first, the Hawks got revenge on the Patriots after dropping the regular season point in doubles play. Devi Jadeja and Kelly Mulquin posted an 8-2 win at the third flight, while Aurora Davis and Alex Zachem claimed the first point for SJU witn an 8-6 decision at the top flight.
Moving to singles, Arianne Polatnick moved SJU ahead 2-0 with a decisive 6-0, 6-0 victory at the sixth singles flight. Davis followed Polatnick with another win for SJU, downing Brittany Pilkington, 6-2, 6-1 at No. 1 singles. Kristina Eisenbrand picked up her fifth singles win in the last six matches as she closed out the win for Saint Joseph's with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Morgan Yang at the second flight.
"Simply put, the girls played great. Getting the doubles point, which we lost to George Mason in our regular season match, allowed our players to play without stree and they came through in spades. Arianne swept her opponent and Aurora was right behind. Kristina finished things off with her 6-3, 6-3 win and play was stopped with the match clinched," said head coach Ian Crookenden. "We look forward to playing third seed George Washington tomorrow with absolutely every thing to gain and nothing to lose."
1. Aurora Davis/Alex Zachem (SJU) d. Pilkington/Delaney (MASON), 8-6
2. Kristina Eisenbrand/Lauren Roy (SJU) vs. Yang/Olivia Lacy-Thompson (MASON), 6-4 DNF
3. Devi Jadeja/Kelly Mulquin (SJU) d. Saygi/Marijke Boers (MASON), 8-2
Order of finish: #3, #1
1. Aurora Davis (SJU) d. Brittany Pilkington (MASON), 6-2, 6-1
2. Kristina Eisenbrand (SJU) d. Morgan Yang (MASON), 6-3, 6-3
3. Devi Jadeja (SJU) vs. Ashley Delaney (MASON), 4-6, 4-2 DNF
4. Kelly Mulquin (SJU) vs. Esu Erdenebat (MASON), 6-4, 2-1 DNF
5. Claire Minnoe (SJU) vs. Mina Saygi (MASON), 1-6, 2-4 DNF
6. Arianne Polatnick (SJU) d. Sofia Santa Maria (MASON), 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish: #6, #1, #2