OLEAN, N.Y. – The Saint Joseph’s men’s tennis team notched its seventh consecutive win on Saturday, cruising past St. Bonaventure, 6-1. The Hawks won two of three doubles matches and took five of six singles tilts to secure the win.
“It was a very satisfying start to our conference campaign,” said head coach Ian Crookenden. “Playing without our number one [senior Jose Sierra] – which changes our doubles lineup as well as the singles order – freshmen Kyle Chalmers and Tristan Boustany came through to start their A-10 careers with wins.”
In singles play, Chalmers won his fourth-flight match in straight sets before Brondeau polished off his first-flight opponent to stake the Hawks to a 3-0 lead.
Andres Urrea then gutted out a win in the third flight, coming from a set down, to clinch the victory. Boustany and Malhotra added wins at fifth and sixth singles, respectively, to set the final margin.
The Hawks are back in action on Thursday, March 20, when they travel to Delaware for a 3:30 p.m. contest with the Blue Hens.
Saint Joseph’s 6, St. Bonaventure 1
1. Brondeau (SJU) def. Irizarry (SBU), 6-4, 6-1
2. Fanshel (SBU) def. Barrus (SJU), 4-6, 6-4, 10-5 (STB)
3. Urrea (SJU) def. Ortiz (SBU), 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
4. Chalmers (SJU) def. de Vera Rehberger (SBU), 6-3, 6-2
5. Boustany (SJU) def. DeSanto (SBU), 6-3, 6-2
6. Malhotra (SJU) def. Haskell (SBU), 1-6, 6-3, 10-4 (STB)
Singles: Saint Joseph’s 68, St. Bonaventure 46
Doubles: Saint Joseph’s 23, St. Bonaventure 19
Total: Saint Joseph’s 91, St. Bonaventure 65