PHILADELPHIA - The Saint Joseph's women's basketball team returns home this Wednesday to host city rival Drexel at 7 p.m. at Hagan Arena. The Hawks are coming off a thrilling 81-73 overtime victory at Wichita State on Friday as they improved to 2-1 on the season.
GAME STORIES . . .
• The Hawks return home to host Drexel on Wednesday.
• Wednesday's game promotion is Hawks For Heroes.
• Saint Joseph’s is coming off two straight road games to cap the Preseason WNIT.
• Last Friday, SJU overcame a 16-point second half deficit to down Wichita State, 81-73, in overtime in the Preseason WNIT Consolation Third Round.
• The Hawks had five players score in double figures against Wichita State, marking the second time they have done so this season. Last year, SJU had five players reach double figures just twice over 32 games.
• Sophomores Ciara Andrews (12 points) and Sarah Fairbanks (18 points) each set new single-game career-highs for scoring in Friday’s win over the Shockers.
• Junior Natasha Cloud had a near triple-double in the win over Wichita State, scoring 15 points, grabbing 11 rebounds and adding nine assists.
• Wednesday’s game is the 13th meeting between the Hawks and the Dragons.
• Saint Joseph’s holds an 8-4 edge in the series and has won two straight versus Drexel.
• The Hawks are 5-1 all-time at home against the Dragons.
• Last year, the Hawks’ earned a 47-45 victory at Drexel thanks to a three-pointer by Erin Shields at the buzzer (boxscore and recap on page 2).
• SJU’s 28-point victory over Mount St. Mary’s was the third-largest differential in a season-opening win for the Hawks. SJU topped Lehigh 91-34 (57 points) to start the 1977-78 season and bested the Mountain Hawks with a 79-37 (42 points) win in 1986-87.
Series History - Saint Joseph’s vs. Drexel
All-Time Series: SJU Leads 8-4
Last Meeting: 11/14/12, SJU 47-45
Last SJU Win: 11/14/12, SJU 47-45
Last Drexel Win: 11/23/10, 50-47
Current SJU Streak: W-2
THE FAST BREAK
• The Hawks and Dragons currently have the two longest postseason streaks in Philadelphia. The Dragons have earned five straight bids, while SJU is close behind with four straight bids.
• Former Saint Joseph’s standouts Amy Mallon (1992-93) and Michelle Baker (2008-12). Serving as associate head coach, Mallon is in her 10th season, while Baker is currently in her second season as director of basketball operations at Drexel.
HAWKS FINISH WITH 2-1 MARK IN PRESEASON WNIT
Playing in the Preseason WNIT for the second time in team history, Saint Joseph’s began the season with a 2-1 mark as it posted wins against Mount St. Mary’s (85-57) and Wichita State (81-73, OT) with a loss at #15/17 LSU (80-64). The Hawks won their opening game against Mount St. Mary’s and earned a Quarterfinal matchup at LSU. Despite a hard-fought effort, SJU lost to the Tigers, setting up a Consolation Third Round game versus the Shockers. The Hawks would cap the tournament with a thrilling 81-73 overtime win at Wichita State as SJU came back from down 16 points in the second half.