PHILADELPHIA - The Saint Joseph's women's basketball team will travel to Wichita State this Friday, November 15, in the Hawks' final game of the Preseason WNIT, organization officials announced Monday night. Game time is set for 8 p.m. ET with live audio provided by the Saint Joseph's Sports Network.
The Hawks (1-1) are coming off an 80-64 loss at #15 LSU on Sunday in the Quarterfinals after downing Mount St. Mary's, 85-57, in the season opener on Friday. The meeting between SJU and Wichita State will be the first between the two schools.
Teams in the Preseason WNIT are guaranteed three games.
GAME STORIES . . .
• Senior guard Erin Shields had a game-high 23 points, and matched her career-high with seven three-point field goals against the Tigers.
• Friday’s matchup with the Shockers is the first meeting between Saint Joseph’s and Wichita State.
• Wichita State will be just the third Missouri Valley Conference team Saint Joseph’s has faced. The Hawks are currently 2-0 all-time against The Valley, topping Loyola of Chicago (W, 92-53, 1/15/94) and Northern Iowa (W, 68-64, 12/3/95).
• SJU’s 28-point victory over Mount St. Mary’s was the third-largest point differential in a season-opening win for the Hawks. Saint Joseph’s topped Lehigh 91-34 (57 points) to start the 1977-78 season and again bested the Mountain Hawks with a 79-37 (42 points) win to begin 1986-87.
• The Hawks are making their second appearance in the Preseason WNIT. SJU previously competed in the 2004 Preseason WNIT, topping Boston University 51-49 at home in the opening game before falling at #10/9 Ohio State, 76-29.