NEWARK, N.J. - Redshirt senior goalkeeper Andrew D'Ottavi made a game-saving stop in the 108th minute of double overtime as the Saint Joseph’s men’s soccer team battled to a 3-3 draw with NJIT on Wednesday evening at Mal Simon Stadium’s Lubetkin Field. With their fifth draw of the season, the Hawks now stand at 2-3-5 overall and 1-0-2 in their most recent trio of road games.

Tied 2-2 in the 76th minute of action, an NJIT foul resulted in a Saint Joseph’s penalty kick. Junior midfielder Jake Nelson took the shot and converted his second penalty kick of the season to give the Hawks a 3-2 advantage with 14 minutes remaining in regulation. The tally marked Nelson’s team-leading fourth of the season and ninth of his career.

NJIT (4-6-3) retaliated in the 78th minute as Marko Drljic sent a cross in to Tommy Osipitan. Osipitan headed the ball past D’Ottavi to equalize the score, 3-3. 

The Highlanders’ Stephen McGeever would land a shot on goal in the 81st minute, but D’Ottavi made his fourth goal of the match to keep the score at three goals apiece and to send the match into overtime.

In the first overtime, senior midfielder Pat McGlynn and sophomore midfielder Tim Lazorko fired off a pair of shots that deflected off of NJIT’s defense while the Saint Joseph’s back line rejected a McGeever attempt in the 97 minute.

In the final 10 minutes, the Hawks’ defensive unit again blocked at NJIT shot. Saint Joseph’s freshman midfielder Eric Jordan saw a good look at the goal but fired wide in the 106th minute before D’Ottavi made the final save of the game at the 107:52 mark. 

For the game, NJIT held a slight advantage in shots (17-15) while Saint Joseph’s owned a 6-5 edge in corner kicks.

The Hawks got the scoring started in the 26th minute of regulation on a 35-foot blast off of the foot of junior forward Mike Glazer. The goal marks the first of Glazer’s collegiate career and gave SJU the 1-0 early advantage. Junior defender Jake Mulinge assisted on the tally for his first collegiate career point.

In the 34th minute, NJIT would net a goal of its own on the final of three consecutive shots. The Highlanders’ Phillipp Hannemann attempted a header, but D’Ottavi deflected the shot toward NJIT’S Jimmy Myers. Myers fired off a shot of his own, but D’Ottavi again deflected the attempt. Myers gained possession of his own deflected shot just three yards out from the goal and put the ball past D’Ottavi to equalize the score, 1-1.

NJIT would score again just five minutes later as Drljic tallied his fourth goal of the season to put NJIT ahead, 2-1, in the 39th minute. 

The Hawks took control early into the second half as Lazorko and Glazer took back-to-back shots in the 51st and 52nd minutes, but it was junior forward Alex Critzos who cracked the NJIT defense. Off of a dish from McGlynn, Critzos found the back of the net at the 52:23 mark to tie the score, 2-2. The goal marks Critzos’ second of the season and 11th of his career. 

D’Ottavi (2-3-5) made five saves in a full 110:00. McGlynn took a team-best five shots, landing two on goal.

Saint Joseph’s will return home to kick off Atlantic 10 action next Friday, October 11. The Hawks will host the Bonnies of St. Bonaventure at 7:00 p.m. at Sweeney Field.